The Planted Tank Forum banner
1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
90 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 · (Edited)
I plan on doing the one two punch (h2o2/excel) tonight and then starting a 3-day blackout to remove some rhizoclonium.

Will any of my fauna have issues with the h2o2/high excel?

-Dwarf puffers
-Amano Shrimp
-Oto
-Red Cherry Shrimp

I've seen others reporting on all of them being safe except the dwarf puffer. Anyone have experience with the one two punch & dwarf puffers?

Thanks in advance.

·
Registered
90 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Thanks. Going to just go with the 3 day blackout with excel for now, then try the one-two punch as a last resort.

Since my tank is only 4 weeks old, I am not very comfortable cleaning the filter yet. Is this a necessary step for the blackout? I'd like to just do several 50% water changes.

·
Registered
936 Posts
amano will be fine with 2x dose.
red cherries will suffer with 1x dose.
ottos will be fine.
no idea on the puffer.

edit: how come you still have red cherries if puffers are in tank :D ?

·
Registered
90 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
dzega: Thanks. I don't mind losing the cherries, but we will see what happens. For now the puffers don't even bother the adults.... although I did see them hunting down some cherry babies in my HC.

I'd be upset if I lost my amanos since they are such hard workers, but they are easily 2-3x larger than my puffers, so i don't think that will happen.

In the middle of a blackout right now. Hopefully I don't uncover it on Saturday and see an empty tank with 2 fat, happy puffers hahah.

·
Registered
488 Posts
Never lost anything with heavy excel, except plants, but I never did a blackout. With
H2O2 I think I lost a couple of Assassins but not positive they were not dead to begin with. My Ottos definitely do not like either but they survived. Nanos and Amanos no problems. I don't have Puffers.

·
Registered
94 Posts
H2O2 killed my snails, RCS, and a cory cat which actually made my algae come back worse. Its a temporary fix nothing more. I'd try harder to solve the root cause.

1 - 7 of 7 Posts