The Planted Tank Forum banner
1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
209 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Well I take that back it can be used to kill snails and your plants, but that's it. I only have a little bit but its annoying and persistent. I read this article here which is very well written and helpful and I had been hearing all about it for awhile so I was like well what the heck I should try it out.
http://www.gpodio.com/h2o2.asp

This is the tale of my experiments across 3 of my tanks.

I followed the directions by turing off the filter directly squirting it on the bba at 1ml per gallon and waiting 20 minutes. The BBA is still doing just fine even though it bubbled like crazy and I repeated the treatment 3 times. What I did get was all my riccia melting :thumbsdow

So I tried putting the plants in a tupperware container and pouring H2O2 on them then capping it and shaking it around gently for 30 seconds. Then put them back in the tank. Again it bubbled like crazy but is still fine. So next I took the anubias out and sprayed it on and left it for 2-3 minutes out of the water then put it back in, a few days later the Anubias melted but on whats left on the ragged edges of the anubias is the still thriving BBA. :angryfire

So anyways, I'd like to hear some first person accounts of it actually working/not working.

thanks!

·
Registered
2,485 Posts
You may need a fresh bottle of H202. It turns to water after a while.

It will kill BBA, clado, probably others. I've used it successfully many times on both of those algaes, always kills the algae that day, and it gets eaten later that week.

BBA should turn purple/pink within a day of treatment.

·
Registered
414 Posts
I have used H2O2 to kill BBA and have never lost a plant. If the plant is covered in it, the leaf underneath is probably dead already or damaged enough that the plant is going to shed it anyways. I removed most of the BBA covered leaves and then spot treated the remaining areas.

I have treated at 3mL/gallon with no problems. The BBA was noticeably dead within a few hours and gone within a week.

And mosses are known to be killed by H2O2 so don't use it on them.

·
Registered
209 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Well, the only thing that it could be is that the H2O2 was old, but it still fizzes on wounds and the BBA still fizzed like crazy for a few hours so I can't see that it was bad.

And no I didn't OD I was patient but it still didn't do anything. The plants were all fine until I soaked the anubias as an experiment.

·
Registered
655 Posts
I used mine on some hair algae a while back... I used 32 ml in a 20gal tank. I put it in at night didnt turn off the filter and within a day or two the hair algae soften and was gone within the week. Didnt lose any plants or fish.

·
Registered
265 Posts
I haven't tried it on BBA.
But shen i have regular green algae on plant leaves,
I pull the plant out and dip it in H2O2 for a few seconds.
Put the plant aside till all affected plants are treated, then replant.
A lot of bubbles come off the leaves aat first. The next day, the algae is a pinkish orange color. Within three days the leaves are clean and healthy. Like someone else said, H2O2 turns into H2O raather quickly, the remaining molecule is osygen (bubble).
I tried treating the whole tank with the filters off, but it didn't work for me.
Unlike a diluted bleach dip, H2O2 has never killed a plant. I don't dip vals or moss.
I did have a case of cloudy water in a tank. I shot 2 ml/gal and the tank cleared up overnite.

Charles

·
Opae Ula Crazed.
1,408 Posts
Back in the '80's an aquarium supply company came up with this bottle (with a ceramic base) that slowly released h2o2 into your marine aquaria, the purpose was to increase the oxygen levels of the said tank.

(Just thought y'all might be interested...)

·
Registered
209 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
Well damn, I guess I will give it another go with a fresh bottle of h202. It was all from the same bottle so maybe that is the case? :confused:

·
Registered
265 Posts
potassium permanganate

I'm curious if treatment of plants with this would have any effect at all on snails or snail eggs?
Sorry this reply is so late.
The H2O2 dip has not helped get rid of snail or snail eggs for me.
I use potassium permanganate succesfully for ridding them.
It's hard to buy under that name. But if you go to Wally land,
look for Jungle Clear Water. It's potassium permanganate.
I just remove the plant with snails/eggs and dip into a gallon or so of water with a few drops of Clear Water added. The snails drop off immediately.
Although it can be used for whole tank treatment, be careful, I understand it could kill your bio media and send your tank into a cycle.
Also the whole tank treatment could cause a mass die off of snail and result in an Nitrate or Nitrite spike.
Charles

·
Registered
265 Posts
Black out to control BBA

I followed the directions by turing off the filter directly squirting it on the bba at 1ml per gallon and waiting 20 minutes. The BBA is still doing just fine even though it bubbled like crazy and I repeated the treatment 3 times. What I did get was all my riccia melting

So I tried putting the plants in a tupperware container and pouring H2O2 on them then capping it and shaking it around gently for 30 seconds. Then put them back in the tank. Again it bubbled like crazy but is still fine. So next I took the anubias out and sprayed it on and left it for 2-3 minutes out of the water then put it back in, a few days later the Anubias melted but on whats left on the ragged edges of the anubias is the still thriving BBA.

So anyways, I'd like to hear some first person accounts of it actually working/not working.

thanks!

A couple of years ago I had BBA pretty bad.
I totally blacked out the tank using back trash bags with old bath towels over them. I taped the bottom of the towels so NO light could get into the tank.
I kept it closed for four days, then uncovered and did an 80% water change. Then I resumed fertilizing and added another gallon jug of CO2 mix.
Then I started alternating a new mix of CO2 every week, always alternating jugs in order to keep a constant supply of CO2. The BBA stopped entirely.
I didn’t lose a fish and although they were pale and sick looking, the plants soon recovered.

I now use pressurized CO2 and don’t have much of an algae problem in that tank.
On my other tanks with DIY CO2, I occasionally successfully treat my plants for green algae with H2O2.
I’m sorry, I forgot about the BBA experience from awhile back. ANOTHER SENIOR MOMENT.
Charles

1 - 13 of 13 Posts