The Planted Tank Forum banner
1 - 20 of 57 Posts

·
Registered
Joined
·
5,994 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 · (Edited)
I'd like to try a H2O2 dip for some Trident Java ferns. I've had a few grow-out tubs outside this summer. I had them in various spots to get a feel for how long a photo period would effect growth of various plants.

Did see that 6am to 8-9pm was just a bit too much for one tub. I have some green hair algae on some of the Java ferns and in some Taiwan moss. I'd like to try a brief DIP of H2O2. I'd like some guidance on how strong a solution for a brief DIP.

Thank You
 

·
Premium Member
Joined
·
2,574 Posts
Hair algae isn't going to be harmed by h2o2. If you kill the hair algae you'll have killed or severly harmed the plants. Just bleach dip them. 1 cup bleach to 19 cups water and keep them submered for 3-4 minutes. After which, thoroughly rinse with clean water and then leave them to soak with water and lots of dechlor (10-20x dose).
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
10,732 Posts
Hair algae isn't going to be harmed by h2o2. If you kill the hair algae you'll have killed or severly harmed the plants. Just bleach dip them. 1 cup bleach to 19 cups water and keep them submered for 3-4 minutes. After which, thoroughly rinse with clean water and then leave them to soak with water and lots of dechlor (10-20x dose).
If rinsed, no need for a 20x dose. 3-5 x dose would be suffiecient. If allowed to soak in a clean water tank after rinse and adding normal dechlor, bleach will be gone in 24 hours. It evaporates quickly.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
5,994 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 · (Edited)

·
Premium Member
Joined
·
2,574 Posts
Hmm...interesting. That seems like a really low concentration and clado is known to be nuke proof. I suspect the algae was on its way out already and the h2o2 just helped it along.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
5,994 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 · (Edited)
I agree about being objective.

I think I'll run a test..in the name of Science...LOL

I use the bleach 1:19 @ 3min. Then a 2x dose of HO2O- 5ml: 66oz for 3min. and a 4x dose of H2O2 5ml: 33 oz for 3min.

I'd offer my plants are healthy, strong rhizomes, new growth, strong roots. The hair algae is healthy & new also.
 

·
Premium Member
Joined
·
2,574 Posts
Sounds like a plan. And yes. In the long run H2O2 is a lot less rough on plants. But in my experience dipping plants in H2O2 only ever helped with staghorn and bba. Clado and stuff like oedogoium came out unscathed.
 

·
Premium Member
Joined
·
2,574 Posts
I use 3% h2o2 straight out of the bottle and mist my plants before I put them in the tank. If I'm dosing in the tank I spot treat using a pipette.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
6,186 Posts
While not directly related to plant dips I use 3% H2O2 regularly here.

Based on recommendations received on a breeder site I use 3% H2O2 at up to 10ml/g as a dip for external fungus and parasite treatments on angelfish. Garrett claimed this solution was strong enough to kill algae and practically all bacteria and parasites, protozoan’s, etc. Other than his word I have no proof of this but have used this level of solution and had fish recover and external symptoms not return.
2-3 hour soak then 50% WC, 24hrs. later another 25% WC and the treatment is complete.

Tanks are scattered throughout my home so I use a 45' siphon hose to reach the exterior when draining tanks doing water changes. I have a 6' tail hose I sterilize between tanks but the main hose gets quite nasty over time never drying out.

3qts/1-1/2 gallons of water once a month or so is used on the main hose to clean it.





While exactly what is growing within the hose is unknown to me I do know 72hrs of circulation takes the hose from this,


To this


I don't use bleach.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
5,994 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 · (Edited)
...Based on recommendations received on a breeder site I use 3% H2O2 at up to 10ml/g as a dip for external fungus and parasite treatments on angelfish. Garrett claimed this solution was strong enough to kill algae and practically all bacteria and parasites, protozoan’s, etc. Other than his word I have no proof of this but have used this level of solution and had fish recover and external symptoms not return.
2-3 hour soak then 50% WC, 24hrs. later another 25% WC and the treatment is complete...
That is actually very related to the topic. So, now, I think I'll modify my tests

5ml:gl., 5ml:1/2gal, 5ml:qt. Do them all for 1hr. rise, soak and pn an Algae free container. I should mist one straight, a maybe leave the H2O2 on for 5min,. too. This should be interesting.

wkndracer - Are those planted tanks or breeder tanks? Curious about an observations on plants you might have had or Algae growth in breeding tanks.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
5,994 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 · (Edited)
Yes, but not on the proposed test.

I've had a tub of e.belem out for two months, rear deck afternoon Sun. Moved it to the front of the house near my thai chilies. Full sun all day. Mostly as a learning experiment.

As you might guess I got hair algae.

The tub has appx 1gl water over 2" of MTS & 1/2 sand cap. I've keep the water 2" over the belem. 2x week water changes light ferts.

So first I physically remove as much hair algae as I could. Drained the tub. Layed paper towels over the "crop" and picked up more algae.

2nd added 10ML H2O2 to 1gal water and let it work for 1hr.

4days later I believe most of the algae was dead or dying. The plants looked fine.

My time line to use those plants has moved up. I don't want to introduce the hair algae to the new tank so, I decided to hit it again.

Today I repeated the clean up protocol.

After the tub was drained I use a spray bottle and hit the plants, sand & tub wall with straight 3% H2O2. Let it cook for 5min. added a gl of water let that sit for 1hr. Then drained the tub and refilled with fresh water.

Did that at 9am. we only had a few hours of morning sun then over cadst, light misty rain in the evening. Tomorrow I'll give it 1/2 sun them. It comes indoor as a cold front is coming in. We've been in the 90's..going to 68 daytime, so maybe 50 night?

Indoors I have some other growout aquariums, both sub/emersed. I'll put this test tub with them, I'll report on it in a week.

I hope to set up my nano next Friday, Hopefuly, I'll have clean belem.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
5,994 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 ·
Just changed out the water again, prior to bringing them indoors as our temps dropped.

NO question the hair algae is NUKED. Now, let's see how well the plants bounce back.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
1,294 Posts
i have had my hair algea get killed from h²o², if you still have the pots they were in why not try an pull out some of the algea and try h²o² for yourself and see if it works as if it works for you and you get a little transfered into your tank you know it will work... just a thought
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
132 Posts
Hair algae is a pain and from time to time, I get an out brake as well. I does 5-7ml per 5 gallons straight into the tank. It sounds crazy but works really well. If the dose is right it should be completely gone in about 24-48hrs. Its amazing how quick it takes care of the issue. It will also kill bba and you still will need to trim the effected leaves.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
5,994 Posts
Discussion Starter · #17 ·
I does 5-7ml per gallon straight into the tank.
Thanks for contributing the the thread. :proud:

Give us the tank specs, size, fish, inverts. If you keep fish & inverts in the tank any affect on them? Are you following up with a water change?

This can become one of those threads that might help fellow members.:cool:
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
132 Posts
I edited my last post. The dose actually comes out to be about 1-1.4 ml per gallon.

I have a 40 gallon breeder. It has about 8-9 ottos and blue pearl shrimp.
Its been 4 days since my first treated and I have seen no affect on the livestock.
And as for any plant melting, just a few older leaves at the very bottom of my longer stems(6"+). Things I would normally trim away. But the first initial treatment seemed to get the hair algae in about two days.

I did a second dose last night and will see how it affects the tank.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
689 Posts
All algae, in my experience, will eventually fall to peroxide whether it is being dosed in the tank or dipped in an external. This is my experience and I use it quite frequently. If I even see discoloration on my plants I use peroxide and the fish love the immense oxegenation.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
5,994 Posts
Discussion Starter · #20 · (Edited)
It's been well over a week and I believe not only the hair Algae is gone , the plants are healthy too.

To recap:

I think the 10ml. per gal with a 1 hour dwell time, followed by a complete water change did solve the problem.

Would a 30 or 50% water change have been enough...Maybe?

The complete drain to expose the Algae, full strenght mist of H2O2, fill with water to dilute/flush, then 100% was most likely unneeded follow-up. However, I think either method would be safe.

This is far from definative scientic method :wink:

So, proceed in you own Aquarium with due caution. I do feel that using H2O2 is a safer/greener alternative to chemical warfare.

I encourage other that use H2O2 to add to the thread. Please include your dosing protocols. I think that would help the other members
 
1 - 20 of 57 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.
Top