The Planted Tank Forum banner
1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
3,423 Posts
That product brand appears to be one marketed in the U.K. - are you from there ? where did you get that product & how long have you had it ?
It seems to be hydrogen peroxide as we know it, but not at all sure. The product generally available and used in North America is a 3% solution in water.

When in doubt, don't use it - is it labelled as a 3% solution ?

·
Registered
2,862 Posts
Typically the ingredients of the H2O2 that is normally used is just 3% Hydrogen Peroxide and the rest of the 97% being purified water (inactive ingredient just to dilute).

I see from the ingredients on your bottle that there is Phosphoric Acid and Sodium Salicylate. I don't know anything about those two ingredients, but a quick search and I read that Phosphoric Acid is found in the common pH reagent we use in API Master test kits. It's said it can adjust pH pretty easy, so that is a bit of concern. I believe it it pretty safe though as I hear the same pH reagent can be used in drop checkers and some mentioned it's non-toxic to the fish if it happened to spill out. A quick search on Sodium Salicylate and I read that it is found in API Master test kit ammonia bottle #1. Haven't found any info on toxicity, but I hear it has similar effects as Asprin, so....

And with Phosphate and Silicate in the names, I am not sure if they would do anything in the way of algae. I don't know how much in concentration they are in, but they should be in extremely low amounts and I would think would not cause any ill effects (harm from H2O2 is a different factor). I can't read the language, but I do see a 3 on the rear label, so I am assuming that is 3% H202. And since water is listed before the 3% H2O2, I would assume there is about 97% water, 3% H2O2 and and just a minute amount (less than 1%) of the other two ingredients since they are listed last.

Again, that is just my best guess and I am not certain at all. Hopefully someone with proper knowledge on the chemicals can comment.

I would think it is safe to use with the concentrations of the other ingredients being so diluted/low.
But as cheap as H2O2 is, I would say it's wiser to be safe and just go buy a bottle of H2O2 that only has purified water and 3% H2O2 with no other ingredients (even if inactive).

·
Premium Member
2,129 Posts
I wouldn't use it. It's Mercurochrome. You don't see it in the U.S. much any more. It was used as a topical antiseptic. It may contain alcohol and trace amounts of mercury.

·
Registered
2,577 Posts
I wouldn't use it. It's Mercurochrome. You don't see it in the U.S. much any more. It was used as a topical antiseptic. It may contain alcohol and trace amounts of mercury.
That's my recollection too. I think it used to be called Tincture of Mecurochrome and stained ANYTHING pretty permanently. If you dispense a tiny bit on a paper towel, you'll know immediately. I haven't seen or heard of this stuff in many, many years.

·
Registered
2,862 Posts
The ingredients list water, hydrogen peroxide, phosphoric acid and sodium salicylate as the components.

Mecurochrome might just be a brand/company name?
Yeah that's what I was thinking. Didn't see Alcohol or Mercury in the ingredients. Although I am not sure if labeling regulations are the same in other countries.

I don't know if Phosphoric Acid or Sodium Salicylate dye anything (they are in some liquid test kits, so maybe?).

Never heard of the stuff though (brand), must be a really old brand or just available in certain countries.

EDIT: Just google image searched "Mercurochrome ingredients" and typed in mercury and alcohol along with that in some searches.
I didn't look too much into it, but it seems it did contain mercury and alcohol and/or acetone, at least in the past. Upon looking at google images, it seems there are quite a few companies that have used the name "Mercurochrome", and looking at the ingredients list of some of them, they all are not the same product (many not even containing hydrogen peroxide).

So if the ingredient list is trustworthy, I would think it might be safe to use, given the concentrations everything is in. But again, I know practically nothing at all about Phosphoric Acid and Sodium Salicylate and any ill effects they might have.

With as cheap as the known safe H2O2 (3% H2O2, with the rest being only water) is, I'd highly recommend not taking the risk in using the pictured product and just go buy a bottle of the known safe product. Would make things a lot easier and skip out on a potentially huge headache and big issues with your aquaria (possible fish/invert and plant deaths, contaminating and/or staining the whole tank and it's contents).

·
Registered
2,862 Posts
A lot of things are acidic in our aquariums though. I would think the tiny amount of those ingredients within the product are very little, and as long as the OP has a decent KH buffering capacity and pH, I wouldn't think it would alter/lower the pH much at all. Although I don't know just how acidic those two ingredients are. I guess the OP could test the pH change in a separate glass/container of water (same concentration as in-tank dosing).

1 - 10 of 10 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.