The Planted Tank Forum banner
1 - 3 of 3 Posts

·
Registered
143 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
So I had a small onset of greenwater, or what I believed to be the onset, so I blacked out for 2 days and the water cleared right up. I also cleaned and changed my mechanial filter media and packed it really tight with some of that blue coarse pad filter stuff, im sure you all know what I mean. And also packed my second tray full of poly-fil really tightly. I uncovered the tank and started my lighting at two four hour periods a day seperated by about 5 hours. The cloudiness came back today, one day after the uncovering, but not badly. Is the staggered lighting a bad idea to come back from a blackout or just cut the light down to 8 hours straight? I usually run the lights for 10 hours per day. Im sure the bloom is due to my being a newbie with ferts, but Im getting it down. Also, on another note, my problem seemed to arise about a week after removing my glass canopy and leaving the tank uncovered. Could that have increased light intensity and caused the problem?

·
Premium Member
4,840 Posts
I have found GW to be very troublesome to get rid of by water changes or any real manual work. I am going to guess that the algae can reproduce so quickly that it doesn't do much.

I have found two simple ways of getting rid of it quickly. On my 10 gallon, purgion does the job. It doesn't work as well on my 29, I think it isn't as effective as in the cansister, alot of water can go past it. I use a UV sterilizer and that clears it up quickly.

Once it is gone, it usually stays gone, alteast for awhile. Even though these are "crutches," I have found that once you actually get the algae out of the water, it tends to stay away unless you do something to make it come back.

I have this problem right now with my 29 and my uv sterilizer isn't working. I tried all my old ways and it is green in a day.

·
Registered
273 Posts
Also in a blackout right now on the 29g, running the co2 anyway to keep ph stable and the airstone as well, both 24/7. Haven't been adding any ferts during this time. Lifted the cover to take a look and its better but not gone after 2 days. Planning on taking the cover off tomorrow is there anything I can expect or need to know when I return light? Any recovery period of any kind?

1 - 3 of 3 Posts