The Planted Tank Forum banner
1 - 20 of 28 Posts

·
Registered
115 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I recently diverged from reef tanks after 30+ years.
Peat covered by Eco-Complete for substrate started in October '09.
Grape wood harvested from my back property.
Rock from my creek.
Plant packages from hobbiests here (special thanks to dewalltheway).
30 Celestial Pearl Danios (I have only added ten??)
6 Otos
2 Cories (I will add three more as soon as I can)
2 Plecostomus
6 Serpae Tetra
3 Discus

CO2 (sparcely used for now)
MH + CF lighting for now.

I'm hoping to fill the front with a grassy looking carpet, cover the back and overflows 100%, and have patches of medium sized plants randomly in the midground.

This will eventually be connected to a 900 gallon system in the basement that is currently being converted to fresh water.

Attachments

·
Registered
3,614 Posts
The tank looks very nice and peaceful! Great job! I saw that you will be converting a 900g to freshwater, make sure you make a journal for that too! There arent many tanks that are that big around here!

·
Banned
217 Posts
you forgot to mention your flora...specifically the grassy plant in front and the extra tall grassy plant in back :icon_wink

and I hope I can get a tank that size (900g)when I buy a house...you could take a swim in there and pretend youre exploring the amazon...watch out for those piranhas! did you buy that or is it a custom build?

·
Registered
115 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
you forgot to mention your flora...specifically the grassy plant in front and the extra tall grassy plant in back :icon_wink
Right, big oversite :icon_redf

Front to back:

Lilaeopsis brasiliensis
Blyxa japonica (grassy plant in front)
Limnophila sp.
Rotala Macrandra
Echinodorus Red Rubin
Hygrophila difformis
Hemianthus callitrichoides
Hygrophila Corymbosa (tall grassy plant)

and I hope I can get a tank that size (900g)when I buy a house...you could take a swim in there and pretend youre exploring the amazon...watch out for those piranhas! did you buy that or is it a custom build?
I built the 900 using plywood, 2X4s, a pondliner, and styrofoam insulation. The original intention was a shallow saltwater lagoon so it's not deep but has a large surface area - 8' X 8'.

This is what it looked like in August:

Attachments

·
Registered
145 Posts
So your tank is 72"X24"X24" and using a sump and overflow right? what pump/ flow rate are you using on this tank? Are there added powerheads to help with circulation or just the sump flow?
Did you modify your sump to be better suited for a plante dtank, or just used the sump as is and changed the materials inside?

I remember reading you had MH and PC lights on your tank of 1500watts, and you were going to downgrade to 250 or 150 MH and PC lights, what made you change your mind?

·
Registered
115 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 ·
The tank is a bowfront so it's only 24" in the center bowing to 18" on the edges.

The flow rate is pretty slow now, I would guess around 500gph. No other powerheads. The water goes from the display to a 40 gallon breeder in the basement to allow the particulates to settle. All that's in the settling tank are CRS and baby CPDs. From there it goes to a 50 gallon container I'm using as a sump with an auto topoff from an RO filter. I don't have any mechanical filtration right now. I have a canister filter on standby but it's dry right now.

For lighting I have 250 watt MH on the left and right with 14K bulbs and in the center I have a pair of 65 watt CF one daylight and one 420nm actinic.

I don't like my background, not at all. It's not a priority though. I think I'll just wait to see if the plants fill in enough to hide it.

The next project is to clean out the old saltwater lagoon and figure out something to do with it. Perhaps a pond type of environment. I don't think I'm going to plumb it into the display tank. I'm not confident enough yet that I can maintain high quality water of that volume.

·
Registered
115 Posts
Discussion Starter · #15 ·
The Lotus has exceeded my expectations. This was just a dry bulb my wife found at WalMart {embarassed} but I'm really liking it. This week it sent two leaves up to the surface.

In the pic from December it's just barely visible but now it's a notable piece of the scenery.

Attachments

·
Registered
398 Posts
im so jealous of your tank/ your reef. thats awesome your discus arent shy and are schooling that means they are very happy i mean if i was in a 155 and a Discus i would be too

·
Registered
48 Posts
first of all, i'm totally drooling over your tank (not literally lol). it's absolutely amazing. the scaping is gorgeous.

second, i've looked high and low for a dry rtl bulb. and you find it at walmart, of all places? i need to broaden my horizons here : )

nice job.

1 - 20 of 28 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.