The Planted Tank Forum banner
1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
333 Posts
Already have the fixture? They have IR laser thermometers at most hardware stores these days. They are usually near the electric levels. You could find out just how hot YOUR T5 fixture gets, and decide whether a vinyl gutter fixture will be able to retain that heat. And you can just use it, and return it the same day... a little cheap, but the economy is what it is.

·
Registered
2,709 Posts
Given the chemicals in vinyl, I'd ventilate the gutter cover. A couple of holes in the top, and a couple of holes in each end would give you some thermal ventilation.
If you were going to put in moon lighe LEDs, then I'd very much suggest a ventilation fan too since they can run off the same power brick.

·
Registered
20g long
47 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Already have the fixture? They have IR laser thermometers at most hardware stores these days. They are usually near the electric levels. You could find out just how hot YOUR T5 fixture gets, and decide whether a vinyl gutter fixture will be able to retain that heat. And you can just use it, and return it the same day... a little cheap, but the economy is what it is.
Thanks so much for your suggestion. I just picked up the light yesterday, and the place I bought it from might actually have a laser thermometer. They also have the fixture I bought set up in the shop, so I'll have to ask them about the exact temp (she said "only a little warm" when I asked yesterday). Thanks again!

Given the chemicals in vinyl, I'd ventilate the gutter cover. A couple of holes in the top, and a couple of holes in each end would give you some thermal ventilation.
If you were going to put in moon lighe LEDs, then I'd very much suggest a ventilation fan too since they can run off the same power brick.
Thanks! I wasn't planning on using LEDs, but I was thinking of trying to cram a small cfl in there (plenty of space left in the hood) to balance out the color rather than just replacing the bulb (the one it came with is intensely lime green). But I'll be sure to add plenty of vents either way. Thanks a bunch!

·
Registered
20g long
47 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
If you add a fan I would either mount it in one end and put slits at the other so air gets sucked through lengthwise, or add it to the top in the center with slits at both ends so air is sucked in the ends and exits the top.
Thanks for the suggestion! I was thinking of doing the side fan with slits opposite, if I did need one. So far the lamp doesn't seem to get too hot, though, just a little warm. So I'm thinking vents are going to do just fine. Thanks again!

·
Registered
5,994 Posts
You might also put a spacer between the fixture & the gutter. I've made great washers by using a hole saw attachment for a drill and punching them out of scrap acrylic.

Neoprene washers would work too.

1 - 8 of 8 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.