The Planted Tank Forum banner
1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
162 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Has anyone ever tried using the gutter rain water in their fish tank? My roof is made from wood and the inside of the gutters are somewhat rusted and not painted. Wood seems pretty old. the water comes out yellow much like how driftwood makes it its first time in water. I tested it and it has 6.0pH or lower and super soft 0-1 KH & GH. I guess my question is... is water yellow from rust or from old wood roof? And is it safe to use with tetras? Drinkware Automotive lighting Automotive tire Headlamp Automotive fog light

Sent from my SGH-I337 using Tapatalk

·
Registered
11,721 Posts
The low pH might be from tannins in the wood or from CO2 in the air that is collected by the rain as it falls.

The yellow might be from rust or tannins.

Do you have any place you could test this:
Put something on the roof that diverts the water so it runs across the wood, but is caught before it enters the gutter?

·
Registered
56 Posts
I did this for a while when we had a water shortage where I live. With hardy species it's OK, I think, however there was a lot of variation in the parameters so I had to limit myself to very small WC and if I'd needed to do a proper big WC for any reason, I would have been a little stuffed as each rainfall came with new parameters!

1 - 7 of 7 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.