The Planted Tank Forum banner
1 - 20 of 36 Posts

·
Registered
53 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Anyone know what this is on my fish? Do I need to remove her from my tank? There are about 5 fry.

Amonia = 0
Nitrite = 0
Nitrate = 20 (my API instuction book says needs to be under 40)
pH = 6.8
Temp = 74 during day, 72 lights off (no heater)

The Nitrates are higher than normal. Could this be the problem?

·
Registered
559 Posts
@gwinner: look at the base of the tail, and not actually the caudal fin itself. it looks like there's a patch of skin that are eroded.

sorry i cant help any further...i have no idea whats going on.

·
Registered
1,360 Posts
It doesn't look chewed. It looks like the scales fell off or were rubbed off.

Is there anything abrasive in the tank?
Maybe she got stuck in the filter?
Is she alone in a tank full of fry?
Are there any open sores anywhere else?
Was she like that before you put her in?
Are any of your other guppies exhibiting this?

From what I can see, it looks like a chunk of flesh is missing, which could mean a couple things. Either she got stuck somewhere and had to tear herself free, or she has fin rot.

·
Registered
1,041 Posts
I am sorry. I have seen this before on female guppies. She is more thank likely not going to make it. Its a fast acting bacterial infection. Remove her from the tank and keep a close eye on the other fish in the tank. Its very contagious.

Not only is there missing scales, but discoloration all the way threw the tail. You will notice over the next few days that it will move up her body.

·
Registered
1,360 Posts
Yep that's what I thought it was, hence why I asked if any other guppies showed this.

It's possible to cure, but for guppies it might cost you more than the guppy is worth...

*monetary-wise

·
Registered
53 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
Thanks guys. I actually made a post last night with way more info, but I did not get any takers as to what was going on. I took that pic of her last night. Tonight there are huge hunks of flesh missing.

There are other guppies and African Dwarf Frogs. One of the frogs had a spot on his leg that started out red. Now it looks like there is fuzz or hair growing from the spot. He died tonight.

I have a platy that I found wedged in the corner of the tank last night between the glass and roots of a fern. I got him out, but his fins were all torn up. he is still alive, but not eating.

I hope this does not wipe out my whole tank. There is a remaining 2 guppies, 5 fry, 1 ADF, and 2 snails that seem fine....so far. :(

What do I need to do to prevent this from spreading? If they all die, do I need to throw out all my plants, sand, driftwood, and everything else?

·
Registered
1,041 Posts
Thanks guys. I actually made a post last night with way more info, but I did not get any takers as to what was going on. I took that pic of her last night. Tonight there are huge hunks of flesh missing.

There are other guppies and African Dwarf Frogs. One of the frogs had a spot on his leg that started out red. Now it looks like there is fuzz or hair growing from the spot. He died tonight.

I have a platy that I found wedged in the corner of the tank last night between the glass and roots of a fern. I got him out, but his fins were all torn up. he is still alive, but not eating.

I hope this does not wipe out my whole tank. There is a remaining 2 guppies, 5 fry, 1 ADF, and 2 snails that seem fine....so far. :(

What do I need to do to prevent this from spreading? If they all die, do I need to throw out all my plants, sand, driftwood, and everything else?

Sadly its going to take out most of your tank.

I never figured out what it was my self.. But draining the tank, and gravel vacuuming helped a lot

(Ive seen it in the shipments of fish at work. After almost emptying the tank, the next batch of guppies did just fine, until we where shipped yet another one with the symptoms.)

I want to say it was columnaris.

·
Registered
1,360 Posts
Treat with meds and lots of water changes. Hopefully it will fade out, otherwise, I would tear down the entire tank and redo it. (You don't need to throw out any scape)

Bacterial infections are hard to eliminate, as the bacteria can lay dormant in the substrate.

I took a look at your other thread, are you positive that it's an infection and not caused by something else? Your ADF could be attacking your fish, I've heard stories of them wiping out schools of small fish overnight.

Anyways, if it's an infection, be prepared to lose all, if not most of your tank. These kinds are very hard to treat and are very fast acting, along with being highly contagious.

·
Registered
53 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 · (Edited)
Oh boy. Hard lesson to learn with my first tanks. Now I am scared that I have infected my 5 gallon betta tank too. I use the same hose to clean them both. Should I bleach it? Did I do something to cause all this? :icon_cry:

I just did a 75% water change. Tried to change filter cartridge, but my refills are wrong size. Will try to find meds, cartridges, and clove oil tomorrow. :(

Oh...definately not the ADF's attacking them. They were in with my betta before, and did fine with the platy before I added death batch. I have not seen any agression at all. These spots appeared and grew so fast, I am sure it is infection now. :(

·
Registered
1,041 Posts
Treat with meds and lots of water changes. Hopefully it will fade out, otherwise, I would tear down the entire tank and redo it. (You don't need to throw out any scape)

Bacterial infections are hard to eliminate, as the bacteria can lay dormant in the substrate.

I took a look at your other thread, are you positive that it's an infection and not caused by something else? Your ADF could be attacking your fish, I've heard stories of them wiping out schools of small fish overnight.

Anyways, if it's an infection, be prepared to lose all, if not most of your tank. These kinds are very hard to treat and are very fast acting, along with being highly contagious.

The ADF could have bitten the guppy, but it is a bacterial infection.

Ive seen this many many times in guppies, its almost always fatal

·
Registered
1,041 Posts
Yeah I suspected a bacterial infection at first, was hoping that it wasn't that serious.

Ive noticed it does not matter what store now a days you see guppies in. Be it a local pet shop, or chain, the ones around here every now and then have females with this issue. Ive never noticed it with the males personally at our store, just the females. :mad:

·
Registered
1,360 Posts
Perhaps this will teach you to use a quarantine tank! (My apologies if you already do)

It's not worth a system-wide crash to see your fish swimming in your tank right away, a month at most in quarantine will allow you to see if there are any problems with your new stock before you introduce it to your main tanks.

But yeah, I've noticed that most of the feeder guppies and goldfish in LFS are unhealthy. I would never buy those to feed to my fish, there are much more nutritious foods you can feed for cheaper, that also don't run the risk of carrying contaminants.

Feeding live guppies is really just for a sadistic show.
Of course I am not saying that you use them for feeders, just that they are usually carrying something bad.

I wouldn't use them in my tanks either, you can get plenty of guppies from anyone on this forum usually just for the cost of shipping, they are healthy and usually more colorful than the ones you would find in most LFS that sell them mainly for feeders.

·
Registered
763 Posts
On my phone but u could try quarantining the guppy and going higher temp around 80 F and adding salt it sometimes helps ...and worse case you lose them all, I have almost identical color ones home raised I would be glad to send you for shipping (once I figure out how :))

·
Registered
1,360 Posts
Bam! I say you can get healthy guppies from TPT members, one shows up and offers. Funny how that worked out.

What do you need to know Merth? Shipping fish is quite easy, you just need a couple things.

·
Registered
53 Posts
Discussion Starter · #18 ·
Perhaps this will teach you to use a quarantine tank! (My apologies if you already do)

It's not worth a system-wide crash to see your fish swimming in your tank right away, a month at most in quarantine will allow you to see if there are any problems with your new stock before you introduce it to your main tanks.

But yeah, I've noticed that most of the feeder guppies and goldfish in LFS are unhealthy. I would never buy those to feed to my fish, there are much more nutritious foods you can feed for cheaper, that also don't run the risk of carrying contaminants.

Feeding live guppies is really just for a sadistic show.
Of course I am not saying that you use them for feeders, just that they are usually carrying something bad.

I wouldn't use them in my tanks either, you can get plenty of guppies from anyone on this forum usually just for the cost of shipping, they are healthy and usually more colorful than the ones you would find in most LFS that sell them mainly for feeders.
I now know that I need a quarantine tank. I should have just used my 5 gallon bucket. These are my first tanks, I have only had them cycled and with fish for a few months. Apparently I have a lot to learn. I have done a lot of research, and read about quarantine. I guess I was hoping they would be fine. Did not buy them for feeders. I won't ever buy anything from the petshops again. :( A lot of tears being shed tonight over a stupid mistake.

·
Registered
53 Posts
Discussion Starter · #19 ·
On my phone but u could try quarantining the guppy and going higher temp around 80 F and adding salt it sometimes helps ...and worse case you lose them all, I have almost identical color ones home raised I would be glad to send you for shipping (once I figure out how :))
Thank you. Very kind of you.

·
Registered
1,041 Posts

Raising the temps in this case will only speed up the process and kill the fish faster, and infect other fish faster as well.

Salt and temp raising will not help.

You need anti-bacterial meds, and a lot of water changes.

1 - 20 of 36 Posts