The Planted Tank Forum banner
1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Registered
1,945 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
This is interesting to me...

Last summer, a friend asked me to take some black and silver Swordtail livebearers. I said fine, and dumped 15 or so into a 60 gallon tank. The tank already had 200 or so fancy Guppies. It's a heavily planted, low tech tank that has minimal filtration and gets nothing but food and water changes. Roughly 60 percent of the water is changed out every week. Don't pay much attention to the tank other than change out the water and sometimes remove plants when things get too overgrown. Have several other tanks and mainly just change out the water.

This week, I noticed a few Guppy/Swordtail hybrids, a male and some females. Managed to get a picture of a male. The females were too quick. Anyway, attached is the pic. The fish has the color of the male Guppy and the body and black sword of the male Swordtail.

It's amazing what will happen in a tank that gets a lot of clean water flushed through it pretty often.

B

Attachments

·
Registered
2,202 Posts
I don't think that guppies and swordtails can hybridize. Mollies and guppies are able to hybridize. Platies and swordtails are able to hybridize (most of them are). That's most likely just a normal swordtail with two different parents or something

·
Registered
1,945 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Livebearing Hybrids

I don't think that guppies and swordtails can hybridize. Mollies and guppies are able to hybridize. Platies and swordtails are able to hybridize (most of them are). That's most likely just a normal swordtail with two different parents or something

Hello Chris...

You could be right. But the pic shows a Guppy male and female and a Swordtail male. The one in the middle really doesn't look like either of them.

B

·
Pixel Prestidigitator
4,343 Posts
They don't interbreed - there may have been some things done in labs under conditions we'll never see, but each fish is from a different Genus, and they aren't that close in evolutionary terms. Swords are Xiphophorus helleri, and they'll cross with other Xiphophorus. Almost every swordtail, platy and variatus in a pet store is a hybrid already, as that's partly how all the color and shape varieties were developed by breeders.

·
Registered
2,202 Posts
Hello Chris...

You could be right. But the pic shows a Guppy male and female and a Swordtail male. The one in the middle really doesn't look like either of them.

B
My theory is that somewhere along your guppy line there is a male with a swordtail (they do exists in guppies) produced and now has been passed down. There are lyretails and swordtail guppies for these.

·
Registered
749 Posts
Maybe we need a clearer, close-up picture. Is it possible to net this thing out and photograph it in a small photo tank or in your hand?

I'm no expert, but the image of the middle (orange) fish didn't really make me think hybrid. It looks like a regular swordtail to me.

·
Premium Member
808 Posts
No hybrid here. The swrdtail in the middle looks like a morph of X alvarezi. A good friend of mine has developed a selective strain that he calls X. alvarezi 'Gold'.

Also, I am typing this answer from Greeley ;)

Oh yeah, I have a lot of the following. If you are interested, I will bring some for you as a gift. Just come to JBS HQ any time during the day and I will give the package to you.

·
Registered
1,945 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
Hello sum...

Very nice fish. Thanks for the offer, but I'm moving away from the Guppies and am now into Red Wag and Sunset Platys. I understand they'll hybridize with the Swordtails. Apparently, the Guppies can't with the Swordtails, but if not, I'm getting some interesting Swordtails. Very similar to the first pic you sent.

Thanks for your insight.

B

·
Registered
1,477 Posts
Swordtails are great! I wish I had the environment I have back home (in Hawaii) to have a tropical pond. I've got some females that are around 5-5.5" in length and are THICK. The males with swords are 6"+. There are a range of red velvets, koi's, black, wild type greens and a few others that have hybridized their morphs in there. I should troll through the pond and net some out next time I'm back home and post up pics.

·
Registered
1 Posts
Having the same occurrence

Just recently I noticed that I have a swordtail guppy who is just a baby right now, but I can actually say that it is a guppy swordtail. Because I have one female guppy that is cream color while all of my other female swordtails are bright and dark orange meanwhile the baby guppy swordtail looks exactly like the guppy and has black spots. There is no male guppy in my tank.

1 - 14 of 14 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.