The Planted Tank Forum banner

1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I recently bought this guppy at a local fish store about 3 days ago, and during the first two days he had been swimming around the tank no problem, only today he has been staying at the surface of the water and has not come down once. I do not think this is an oxygen issue, as I have several other fish swimming around just fine. He is moving around, but only skimming the top. My ammonia and nitrites and nitrates all tested 0, I could use some help identifying what the problem with him is. The tank is a 20gl.

Attachments

·
Premium Member
5,681 Posts
It is always a bit suspicious to me when a tank that has fish in it has no nitrate reading. It is very rare in a cycled tank.

How long has the tank been set up?
How densely planted is it?
How are you testing for ammonia, nitrite, and nitrates?

Fish can do this in issues with water quality, parasites, and disease. So, this behavior by itself doesn't definitively point to any one environmental condition or pathogen.

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
The nitrates aren't 0, but they are close too, someone said that it could be a female thats pregnant, but I don't know how to tell.

·
Registered
1,113 Posts
What's the male to female ratio of guppies? Might be hanging around up top due to stress. My endlers do this but eventually swim around.

1 - 5 of 5 Posts