The Planted Tank Forum banner
1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
66 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
So as the title states, one of my guppies jumped through the skimmer into the pipe. Luckily I caught this seconds after it happened and was able to turn off my canister and lower the skimmer to let her out but wow was that scary. Happened as I was feeding them so I'm assuming she saw some food get sucked in and thought she might as well go for it... Wanted to share and see if anyone else has experienced a fish jumping into their Lilly pipes and if this is something I should keep an eye on or if it was a one-off.

·
Registered
1,155 Posts
Fish will go where they can fit. I have to cover my overflow weir teeth with plastic canvas, sponge, even window screen to keep them out. Especially fry. I don't think any of these ideas will work with a Lilly pipe because they will ruin the aesthetics that you use them for in the first place.

Reactions: ML5280

·
Registered
538 Posts
I have a lily pipe surface skimmer for my Oase Biomaster filter. Each week when I do my water change and clean the removable prefilter I return anywhere from 10 to 20 neo shrimp who have chosen to try the fun water feature. Some are fry but many are adults. They are all in good shape since the prefilter sponges keep them from the impeller food processor.

I have tried or considered ways to keep them out but all of them either affect the ability of the skimmer to work properly so I have resigned myself to the weekly "shrimp slide".

1 - 4 of 4 Posts