The Planted Tank Forum banner
1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Banned
A ton of guppies, mystery snails, japanese trapdoor snails, ghost shrimp, & tons of plants in a 10G.
178 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Anybody know why my guppy hasn't dropped ANY fry? I bought her fro The Ocean Floor in Phoenix, AZ. Absolute beauty! But I bought her while she was HELLA pregnant, and she's stayed that same size, but her stomach has only gotten bigger and bigger. She looks like she's a tick about to pop. Any suggestions to assist her to drop her fry? I feel like I've tried everything.

·
Registered
702 Posts
Is she an old female? I have a large colony of Sailfin molly. Only young females drop young. Old females can appear pregnant but don't drop young. Live bearers age quickly and remain fertile for only a short period.

·
Registered
2,141 Posts
Is she still with males? Guppies can hold fry for months. If she's not alone already you may want to separate her, she might not think the time is right to drop them for whatever reason. The other thing I thought of was already mentioned, older guppies tend to look pregnant even if they aren't.

·
Banned
A ton of guppies, mystery snails, japanese trapdoor snails, ghost shrimp, & tons of plants in a 10G.
178 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
She's only about 7.5 months old. She dropped a small batch of fry when she was about 4 months old, and she's been pregnant afterwards since. I've tried to put her in my quarantine tank alone, but she swam around frantically and kept running into the tank walls, and only calmed back down when placed back in my main tank.

·
Registered
2,141 Posts
She's only about 7.5 months old. She dropped a small batch of fry when she was about 4 months old, and she's been pregnant afterwards since. I've tried to put her in my quarantine tank alone, but she swam around frantically and kept running into the tank walls, and only calmed back down when placed back in my main tank.
Maybe she's bloated? Have you been feeding any greens/ is she picking at algae? Seems odd but not unheard of that she'd hold for 3 months. Is she acting normal otherwise?

·
Banned
178 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
She's been acting COMPLETELY normal. Swimming around, chasing the males, picking at my water wisteria here and there, and doesn't even go near the guppy fry that I leave in my tank! I feed them Hikari Spirulina Brine Shrimp once a month, and she eats the least of that, however. She's eating normally, once every other day.

Reactions: Plinkploop

·
Registered
2,141 Posts
It could be bloat, but if she's acting completely normal I would try not to read too much into her not dropping her brood. Maybe try giving her a swim in an aquarium salt solution to help stimulate her. I'm not 100% on the dosing, though. Hope this clears up soon.

·
Banned
178 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
I have 2 pictures of her. It's kinda worrying me...
Plant Green Terrestrial plant Sunlight Grass
Water Vertebrate Organism Underwater Marine biology

·
Banned
178 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
C-section.
???

GOOD NEWS!!!

My guppy finally dropped her fry after 3.5 months! She welcomed almost 100+ guppy fry into my small, little 10G <3

1 - 14 of 14 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.