The Planted Tank Forum banner

1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
"All we have to decide is what to do with the time that is given us." Gandalf: Lord of the Rings
273 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I want to get an African dwarf frog for my guppy fry tank. I wouldn't want the frog to eat the guppy fry. So would they be compatible? The tank is 10 gal so a good amount of room for 15 guppy fry and 1 or 2 tiny frogs,right? If not any other suggestions for interesting out of the ordinary creatures for a small tank?

Sent from my KFONWI using Tapatalk

·
Registered
782 Posts
I think if you plan to put dwarf frogs with the fry, you'll definitely want some hiding places for the fish. Dwarf frogs aren't particularly agressive or fast, so it might work, but you'll need to keep them fed and make sure the fish have plenty of cover until they are fast enough to be really safe.

You could also consider keeping a couple cherry shrimp in there. They shouldn't attack healthy fry, but will eat any that die off before they can foul the water, and will also consume any uneaten fry food (not that single dead fry are really large enough to cause big ammonia spikes, but surplus food can deteriorate water pretty quickly).

I used to keep a small group of snails in my bare-bottomed fry tanks. They also do cleanup of fallen foods, and definitely won't chase the babies.

·
Registered
"All we have to decide is what to do with the time that is given us." Gandalf: Lord of the Rings
273 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Ok thanks. Maybe I'll get a few. How many can fit in a 10 gal?

·
Registered
782 Posts
Frogs? I'd only do maybe 3 at most because they can be messy eaters in my experience and you need clean water for fry.

Cherry shrimp? Start with 6-10, and they will multiply. You could fit a fair number in a 10g because the bioload for shrimp is pretty low and they don't leave food to rot.

·
Registered
273 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Ok thanks.

How much would 10 cherry shrimp cost. Its kinda confusing. What are culls? What's the best type of cherry shrimp to buy? Bloody mary? Sakura? I don't get what the difference is?

·
Registered
782 Posts
The difference between sakura, fire, red cherry, etc. is basically the look. More colorful shrimp will cost more, otherwise they are exactly the same in terms of care, behavior, etc.

Culls are excess shrimp that someone is removing from their aquarium. Sometimes people cull at random and you could get some very nice colors, especially if the breeding stock was of high quality. Sometimes people cull selectively, removing the least colorful from their tank (though these could still be of pretty good quality if they started with all highly colored or very well patterned shrimp).

There are other colors as well. Cherry shrimp come in blue, green, black, chocolate, yellow, orange and bi-colored.

Just be aware red crystal shrimp and black crystal shrimp are a different species from cherry shrimp. They're really similar for the most part, just not the same.

You can get a group of 10 to 12 for around $30-$35 shipped to you from an online seller if you aren't trying to get extremely rare colors or patterns. I was actually browsing E Bay for them last night, and found a ton of sellers there too. Local fish shops and large retailers like petsmart also carry them, usually for between $2.50 and $5 each, depending on the store and the variety of shrimp. You can start with just 4 or 5 that way if you don't want to drop $30 all at once, but online is a bit less expensive per shrimp for nicer varieties.

·
Registered
273 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Ok thanks very much I will look online $30 isnt too expensive... Does anyone on this forum sell the blue variety? I looked them up and they look very nice. I will probably get the blue type.

·
Registered
782 Posts
You could check the classified section of the forum. People post in there all the time when they have stuff available.

·
Registered
273 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
ok wil do

·
Registered
3 Posts
The frogs will definitely go after the new fry. They might be tiny now but in a year or so they can be formidable. With a lot of plants this could work in your favor and the frogs can do the culling for you. If you were hoping to have surplus guppys it is probably not a good combo.

·
Registered
273 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
ok good to know I probanly will get the cherry shrimp

1 - 11 of 11 Posts