The Planted Tank Forum banner
1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
475 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
A friend gave me 2 pair of Endlers <2 weeks ago. I currently have them in my 5 gallon tank (with an ADF and nerite snail) while I put together a 20 long. The big mama gave birth to 12 fry yesterday. Eventually I can sell them to our LFS, but I fear #s could very rapidly get out of hand, at this rate.

So I'm wondering about "Circle of Life" means of keeping fry #s in check. I plan to move my ADF to the larger tank and add 1-2 more. I thought maybe he/she'd eat fry, but I'm pretty sure ADF eyesight is too poor to be a very efficient hunter. Would a dwarf gourami do the job? What other fish might be helpful in this situation?

·
Registered
475 Posts
Discussion Starter · #2 · (Edited)
Googling around to find some info. Looks like tetras may eat fry. Might be a solution, as I have 7 glowlight tetras that I don't love in my 50g (I eventually want to put barbs of some sort in that tank and I don't think the tetras and more aggressive barbs would get along). Might be cool to try a group of different tetras in the 20 with the glowlights, too...perhaps some neons.

I could also consider going with a 29g tank on the same stand, then try a couple angels. But I'm not sure I want another deep tank. My 50g is also 18" tall and I kind of like the idea of a tank that doesn't require getting wet up to my armpits if I'm doing maintenance when it's full.

Any other suggestions of fish that might work?

·
Registered
3,446 Posts
I'd suggest a single fish that's pretty good at hunting rather than a school, mostly because that way you'll end up with just a few (really fast) fry surviving, which is nice because endlers aren't terribly long-lived. A dwarf gourami could work, or a female or plakat betta. Both species can be a bit iffy with endlers, though, they often take all that flashing and long-tailed-ness as a territorial challenge. Otherwise, you could try a smallish (6 or so) school of tetras and a bunch of good hiding spots.
Angelfish will eat adult endlers, too. Not your best choice.

·
Registered
475 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Otherwise, you could try a smallish (6 or so) school of tetras and a bunch of good hiding spots.
Sounds like my 7 glowlight tetras might be perfectly suited for the job. And maybe a single betta, if need be. My plakat died not long ago (he had Lymphocystis). He was such a cool, athletic betta. I just wish plakats were easier to find. I don't think our LFS usually has them. I found my late guy at Petco, which is probably why he had that virus. I've found that long-finned bettas and ADFs don't work well together. My ADF killed my first betta by constantly nipping at his fins. Those red, flowy fins probably looked a lot like bloodworms, his favorite food.

·
Registered
3,446 Posts
Petco and Petsmart often have dragon-scale bettas, or at least what they claim are dragon-scales. Petco 'dragons' get larger than usual and have shorter fins, so they probably have a lot of plakat in them.
Be sure to put a bunch of moss in the tank if you want any endler fry to survive the tetras. If you give them a bunch of hiding places, the fastest and healthiest fry will survive.

·
Registered
475 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Petco and Petsmart often have dragon-scale bettas, or at least what they claim are dragon-scales. Petco 'dragons' get larger than usual and have shorter fins, so they probably have a lot of plakat in them.
Be sure to put a bunch of moss in the tank if you want any endler fry to survive the tetras. If you give them a bunch of hiding places, the fastest and healthiest fry will survive.
I'll check. Generally our Petsmart's fish area seems a LOT better staffed and maintained.

·
Registered
109 Posts
I had similar problem see here but I made it worse by saving all the fry and putting it in a 2.5G tank to grow in peace. 3 male Endlers + 2 Tequila Sunrise females produced hundreds of offspring which took over my main tank. LFS didn't want any of that, I gave some away to random people who were starting little fish tanks for kids and the rest went to an owner of an Oscar ;-)

I do love guppies but they do breed like crazy in good conditions.
Maybe you can control them with some small cichlid?

Anyway, I have one guppy fry left in 30G tank which is too clever for me to catch it. Maybe I can build a laser cannon to eradicate it ;-)

·
Registered
475 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
Maybe you can control them with some small cichlid?

Anyway, I have one guppy fry left in 30G tank which is too clever for me to catch it. Maybe I can build a laser cannon to eradicate it ;-)
A teensy tiny laser cannon!! :grin2:

I'd love another ram, but would need a bigger tank to consider that. My little Bolivian Ram male is such a cool little fish.

1 - 8 of 8 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.