The Planted Tank Forum banner
1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
646 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
i have 4 neons, 5 rummies, and 1 guppy. 3 little fry showed up a couple weeks ago and i was super excited because i thought they were rummies.. but then the other day i realized they look almost exactly like the guppy( light tan w/ a fan tail instead of a forked one). could she have cross-bred with one of the tetras?

·
Registered
419 Posts
I've heard of mollies and endlers cross-breeding with guppies, but I don't think it's possible for a tetra to cross-breed with a guppy since the guppy is a live bearer and tetras are egg-layers.

If your guppy is a female then the most likely scenario is that she was holding sperm from when you got her. I'm actually still getting random fry after removing males from my tank over 2 months ago.

·
Registered
567 Posts
No, guppies cannot cross with tetras. They will also not crossbreed with other livebearers that do not look like a guppy, such as platies, swortails, or mollies. They will crossbreed with Endlers though.

Sounds like you just have some sneaky guppy fry. A non-pregnant female guppy is a rarity unless you've been able to keep her away from males for several months!

·
Registered
217 Posts
From Wikipedia "In fact, guppies have the ability to store sperm, so the females can give birth many times, after only once breeding with a male."

I've heard some people say, that if your female guppy has ever been in a tank with a male guppy, you should assume that she is pregnant. This might be an exaggeration, but it's worth considering.

·
Registered
57 Posts
Hey there matey.

As said, a guppy will certainly not not hybridize with a tetra. For starters, you'll only find they will cross with a select few Poecilia species.

Not to mention they are livebearers and reproduce completely different to the other fish you keep! The chances of that happening are as good as breeding your guppy with a dog or cat :D

Really, the guppy is one of the most studied and catalogued animals on earth, it would be worth your while to read up a bit on both livebearers and egg-layers first

1 - 8 of 8 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.