The Planted Tank Forum banner

1 - 20 of 58 Posts

·
Registered
145 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hello-

I am purchasing a pregnant female guppy from my LFS sometime soon. Just wondering if I need any liscenses to become a home breeder. I am planning on starting small, and saving only the ones I want, giving others to the LFS. What would be the best way to do this?

Also, once I become more established, I would also like to post some guppies for sale on Swap n' Shop. How would I package and ship the fish? I will use flat rate boxes for sure though.... I am a total newbie to breeding, so please, help!

Thanks,

tetrabettaguy97

·
Registered
920 Posts
idk what to tell you other than guppies are so common, you will have a hard time selling them unless you have special breeds.

·
Registered
329 Posts
Hello, nice to meet you.
Hello-

I am purchasing a pregnant female guppy from my LFS sometime soon. Just wondering if I need any liscenses to become a home breeder.
No, but you may need a business license to officially sell your fish to a LFS. Many of them will take the fish for free or for store credit, though, it just depends on state laws and the business you are dealing with.

I am planning on starting small, and saving only the ones I want, giving others to the LFS. What would be the best way to do this?
That's the best way, you can also give them away on craigslist, or feed them to something bigger.
Also, once I become more established, I would also like to post some guppies for sale on Swap n' Shop. How would I package and ship the fish? I will use flat rate boxes for sure though.... I am a total newbie to breeding, so please, help!
Okay...where to begin. Okay you are going to need several tanks, this is important to segregate your stock, according to what traits you are going after. Selective breeding is how you find these beautiful guppies for sale. It is a slow process, as your gestation period is 30 days and sexual maturity takes several months.

It's actually cheaper to ship priority by weight, with smaller fish like guppies. Depending on the destination, its usually around 10 dollars. I wouldn't worry too much about the shipping aspect of this till you get close to needing to do it.

Best of luck.

·
Registered
145 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
About guppies being common and hard to sell, that isnt necessarily true. Some really exteme breeders go for $80 bucks a trio. And that's commonly seen. A lot of people are willing to pay top dollar for original and unique strains. Take a look at aquabid.com. Look at the prices in the guppy/livebearer section. Not saying that this is where all the money is, but at least a decent amount ! Haha,

tetrabettaguy97

·
Registered
3,379 Posts
About guppies being common and hard to sell, that isnt necessarily true. Some really exteme breeders go for $80 bucks a trio. And that's commonly seen. A lot of people are willing to pay top dollar for original and unique strains. Take a look at aquabid.com. Look at the prices in the guppy/livebearer section. Not saying that this is where all the money is, but at least a decent amount ! Haha,

tetrabettaguy97
True, but you said you got a guppy from the LFS. That guppy, you have no idea what genes and defects it can be carrying. And the babies. I had a female fancy guppy give birth to wild type guppies.

·
Registered
145 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
Interesting point.

Maybe I'll think about getting a pre-hit female from a reputable breeder instead. Any links to online breeders?

-tetrabettaguy97

·
Registered
920 Posts
what i meant was getting guppies from a LFS is gonna be tough to ID. since you dont know what could be mixed it before. but like you said there are guppies that are really nice and rare.

best of luck to your guppy breeding! :D

·
Registered
329 Posts
Agreed. Get some good stock to begin with, it may be pricey but in this instance you definitely get what you pay for, and you will thank yourself later down the road for spending the money up front for quality stock to work with.

A side note, you could breed some pure endlers, they seem to be more desirable than random guppy strains.

·
Registered
145 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
Haha, yeah. I know that if I pick the LFS, I won't know what I'm getting. But, I kinda like that. And besides, this is my first time. Not expecting some prize winning fish! :) Maybe later down the road I'll think more openly about seriously breeding them. Right now I'm still in the experimental stage.

-tetrabettaguy97

·
Registered
1,568 Posts
You can make interestin crosses from pet store guppies. like if you breed a half black female with a snakeskin male you will get crowntail guppies.

·
Registered
145 Posts
Discussion Starter #16
Yeah, I mean that was pretty much my intent. Just breeding two totally different strains together and see what I get. I shot an email over to my LFS asking about store credit/fish exchanges, no response yet. I'll try my best to keep you guys posted.

-tetrabettaguy97

·
Registered
1,568 Posts
If your fish have good confirmation (meaning good body shape) there is always a market on aquabid. your can sell 12 assorted fish for like $10 plus $15 for shipping. you will never get rich breeding guppies but it is an enjoyable hobby. lol. Go to sites like guppy designer or guppies.com and read as much as possible.

·
Registered
145 Posts
Discussion Starter #18
I read about all of guppies.com, but haven't heard of guppy designer. What's the actual site address.

Still no response from my LFS email. Urg.

-tetrabettaguy97

1 - 20 of 58 Posts