The Planted Tank Forum banner
Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 18 of 18 Posts

·
Banned
A ton of guppies, mystery snails, japanese trapdoor snails, ghost shrimp, & tons of plants in a 10G.
178 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I know there are a small amount of people on this forum that have kept guppies in the past. When you got out keeping guppies, where did you dump the huge amount of fry and the adults??? I want to clear my overstocked guppy aquarium, and I know I have probably hundreds of fry and juvys in the small 10 gallon. I tried to see if anyone wanted to buy some from me on here, but nobody wants the hassle of a guppy in their tank. Where can I get a good bit of money or just a place to rid of a huge amount of guppies?

·
Registered
124 Posts
Whatever you do, do NOT dump them in a local body of water. Introducing non-native species like this can cause serious ecological damage.

I've never kept or bred guppies, but I have bred Apistos. I was able to sell the juvie Apistos to a local fish store and local people who wanted them. You should try selling them locally to people or to fish stores.

Guppies can make great feeder fish for predatory fish. You might have success selling them as feeders, or getting a fish that will eat them.

IMO, your options are to sell them, kill them, or keep them.

·
Registered
3,040 Posts
I would be surprised if you can get anything for them unless they are a very rare breed of guppy. My local fish store keeps a 120 gallon tank of guppies that they sell as feeders. I think they sell them for multiples for a dollar. I don't know what if anything they offer other people for them, my guess is not much if anything.

·
Registered
283 Posts
I keep a betta in my endler tank. Not perfect but it helps.
Sometimes I throw an ad up on craigslist for free guppies.
Occasionally I've had to resort to freezing then putting out in a bird feeder.

·
Banned
A ton of guppies, mystery snails, japanese trapdoor snails, ghost shrimp, & tons of plants in a 10G.
178 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
so feed them to a betta.... i have 3 females. I got it thanks!

·
Registered
283 Posts
Most of the bettas I've had over the years weren't that good at population control. They only seem to get the newborns or babies that have something wrong. Plenty survive. The hunting urge also differs a bit from fish to fish. The one I have now ate 3 immediately after being put in the tank and I see him stalking constantly though the fry seem to have caught on that this isn't a friendly fellow.

I wish I could figure out another fish that would eat more young but not cause a total massacre. Maybe when this one passes I'll try 2 or 3 females instead of a male.

·
Registered
335 Posts
see if there's a local aquarium club, there's bound to be someone that wants free fish. I take mine to a local fish store who prefers local guppies, because they seem hardier than his bulk supplies sources. I get store credit which isn't a lot, but helps offset the cost of whatever I end up buying there :)

·
Banned
178 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
Anybody want to take any from me??? I only want to feed them off only if it's ABSOLUTELY necessary.

I'll give away like 5-6 per person.

·
Super Moderator
12,040 Posts
Anybody want to take any from me??? I only want to feed them off only if it's ABSOLUTELY necessary.

I'll give away like 5-6 per person.
Please post in the RAOK section. You can also try the local subforum!

·
Banned
178 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
okay, so here's my issue now: my betta just rips up any of my guppy's huge tails :(

·
Banned
178 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 ·
LITERALLY NOBODY WANTS GUPPIES TnT

Take some from me, y'all. I put an RAOK out for free guppies on the forum.

·
Banned
178 Posts
Bruh how stupid is it that the forum took down my RAOK... I got rid of my old post and posted a new one, and they deleted it too! HOW IDIOTIC!

Moderator edit: What's idiotic is that this guy thought it'd be cute to repeatedly defy moderators while abusing our sales system & forum limits.

·
Super Moderator
15,889 Posts
Bruh how stupid is it that the forum took down my RAOK... I got rid of my old post and posted a new one, and they deleted it too! HOW IDIOTIC!
Well, "bruh", your MULTIPLE THREADS in MULTIPLE SECTIONS - including multiple unnecessary & repeated threads in the RAOK section were removed because you defied moderators' requests to abide by our guidelines of posting ONE THREAD. Not multiples. And to keep them in the RAOK section. Really simple and uncomplicated. Literal children here on the forum grasp it quite well. Yet you chose to ignore all of this for more than six months.

I'm leaving this thread intact so others can see what you're claiming is not based in reality. That you're behaving as an entitled brat and attempting to undermine the moderation team because you aren't getting your way.

We're permanently removing you from the forum. This is not a personal paradise of give-aways and sales. You don't get to abuse what other people pay for. If you wish to advertise? Become a sponsor, as you've been advised. Committing theft of services won't fly. Ignoring moderator requests for more than six months won't fly. You've been given 9 or 10 chances to course correct.

We don't typically comment on situations like this but this one is egregious because the user just won't quit. You can see in this thread alone that moderators are incredibly lenient and go out of our way to prevent suspensions and bans. This is a plant forum. It's not life or death. Treat people with basic respect and put in a tiny bit of effort not to abuse our system.

1 - 18 of 18 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.