The Planted Tank Forum banner

1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
205 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I recently set up a new nano planted tank and I just put two baby shrimps in there. I was thinking about adding a male guppy and more shrimp, but I would like to know if you have some expererience keeping guppies and shrimp.I have no experience with guppies, so I don't know if the male will eat baby shrimp and some plants.I have Hethernanthera Zosterifolia, Hygrophilla polysperma var. rosa nervig, cryptocorine balansae brown, althernanthera reineckii rosaefolia, hydrocotyle verticillata and Hemianthus Callitrichoides.

Thanks in advance.

·
Registered
670 Posts
I have guppies and whatever they can fit into their mothes they will eat. If you want your shrimp to breed don't put in any guppies -they will eat every baby they can find.

Cindy

·
Registered
316 Posts
yeah. guppies even eat thier own babies. i've seen them pop out the mother and swim straight down and the mother go right after it and eat it. one bite!

if you really want a couple guppies, one thing you could do is grow some moss in a large clump. it might ruin your display though. fry and baby shrimp can hide and find food in it. i think you're better off keeping guppies seprate from shrimp you're trying to breed.

·
Registered
205 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Cindy & Sammy, thanks for your comments and recommendations, certainly I will not add the male guppy, I prefer shrimp breeding, besides they are beautiful, they keep the plants clean :smile:

In my first nano I tried cherry barbs, but they ate the baby shrimp, so I put them in other tank.

Thanks again guys.

1 - 4 of 4 Posts