The Planted Tank Forum banner
1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
70 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I just got 7 guppies but I am unsure how much to feed them. I have the Hikari fancy guppy food and I fed them a few pinches but they always seem hungry. Now they seem to be picking at stuff around the tank. Should I feed them more? I do not want to over feed and get an algae outbreak!

·
Registered
5,576 Posts
I just got 7 guppies but I am unsure how much to feed them. I have the Hikari fancy guppy food and I fed them a few pinches but they always seem hungry. Now they seem to be picking at stuff around the tank. Should I feed them more? I do not want to over feed and get an algae outbreak!
Young guppies, (fry) will do well with three or four small feeding's per day for three to four month's.
Adult guppies can get by with once or twice daily, or every other day feeding's.
I currently have approx 200 in 55 gal, and all of them enjoy spirulina flake along with traditional flake food' such as tetra,or ocean nutrition.
They really do enjoy a bit of algae or spirulina based food's for although they are omnivore's,,they are in my view more herbivorus if given the choice.
Some floating plant's will give the fry plenty of places to hide from adult's and also provides tiny microscopic critter's(infusoria) for them to eat as well.
Best to keep three to four females for every male so that males do not stress just one or two females to death with their advances.

·
Registered
5,576 Posts
Been breeding fancy guppies for a while, and feed as described so that young fish can grow more quickly and sold.
Is same for most species. Young fishes need more protein's than adult fishes and three or four small feeding's each day for fry produces the result's I desire.

·
Premium Member
787 Posts
I feed my guppies a small pinch of food once a day.....skipping a day here and there. I do the same for the fry, and they are just fine......growing and healthy.

Fish will always look hungry and scrounge for food. Don't ever fall for that!

·
Registered
70 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
It sounds like I am feeding them enough. Their tank is right next to my desk so I see them a lot. It will be hard to refrain from feeding them a ton. They are so fun to watch when they are eating.

·
Registered
5,576 Posts
It sounds like I am feeding them enough. Their tank is right next to my desk so I see them a lot. It will be hard to refrain from feeding them a ton. They are so fun to watch when they are eating.
Could/would be surprised, at how quickly fishes learn to forage along the bottom once they realize that the frequent feeding's are not going to be the norm.

·
Registered
764 Posts
Could/would be surprised, at how quickly fishes learn to forage along the bottom once they realize that the frequent feeding's are not going to be the norm.
Yup. I have a few Molly fry and an algae eater sitting in my sump. They're extremely fat yet I never feed them. They eat the detritus off the floor of the sump.

Sent from my spaceship using Tapatalk 2.

1 - 10 of 10 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.