The Planted Tank Forum banner
1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Banned
A ton of guppies, mystery snails, japanese trapdoor snails, ghost shrimp, & tons of plants in a 10G.
178 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
For the past few days, my guppies have been dropping like flies. My water parameters were checked and nothing was wrong. All were quite young, so I'm wondering if anyone knew what might be happening?

·
Registered
1,360 Posts
You should list a full chart of parameters as well as describe any recent changes to the set up if you want a good answer.

Any additional information helps, such as your maintenance routine and whether or not you dosed anything in the tank

What are you feeding them? Etc etc. Give us something to work with

·
Banned
A ton of guppies, mystery snails, japanese trapdoor snails, ghost shrimp, & tons of plants in a 10G.
178 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
10 gallon tank! 12 guppies (as of today)

Water Parameters:

pH: 7.0
Ammonia: 0ppm
Nitrites: 0ppm
Nitrates: 0ppm

Recent Changes:

Added in 3 Dumbo Mosaic Guppies (all of which died)
Added water wisteria, guppy grass, & hornwort (all of which are thriving)

Maintainence Routine:

25%-30% water change every week
Feeding tropical flakes and freeze-dried bloodworms once every day.
Immediately take out sick fish and place in quarantine tank (none of which have ever recovered to be placed back into the tank) to be treated with Imagitarium Parasite Remedy (all are usually parasitical infections, and in some cases, bacterial)

·
Registered
1,360 Posts
Temp? What are your KH and GH levels?

If you introduced guppies without quarantining, it's possible you introduced a disease that is killing them one by one.

Simply dosing medication into their tank doesn't guarantee you eliminated all pathogens.

What do they look like when they die? Is there any odd behavior you notice beforehand?

·
Banned
178 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Ich & columnaris.

Temperature: 78 degrees F

They die with flared fins, either floating at the top or sunk to the bottom. White, puffed up stomachs or white gills.

·
Registered
575 Posts
It sounds like your fish are dying because you introduced disease, not because of anything having to do with your water. Until you rid your tank of the pathogen, all of your fish are going to go.

It used to be thought that low levels of ich were hanging around in an aquarium and it only became a problem if fish were stressed, but that's been debunked. I think some bacterial infection do work that way, but I'm far from a fish disease expert. Ich is the only thing I have dealt with where I was sure what the problem was and I was able to abolish it in my quarantine tank before it killed everything.

·
Banned
178 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
Columnaris is AKA mouth rot. It came from one of my guppy fry somehow, which I've been breeding for a while. So I'm not sure why my fish are just dropping... 5 died yesterday with flared fins and red gills. They were all either sunset micariff guppies or small assorted guppies.

·
Registered
1,360 Posts
Do you have aquarium salt? If you do, you can mix a little bit into the tank. It will encourage slime coat development as well as kill pathogens in the water column.

DO NOT USE TABLE SALT WITH IODINE

You probably introduced disease through new stock by not quarantining for 1-2 weeks, but potentially through frozen foods as well.

You will need a full tank treatment now. All of your guppies could be infected, or the disease could be lingering in the water. Either way, do large water changes and dose lightly to kill the pathogen. DO NOT OVERDOSE MEDICATIONS! They are not twice as effective at twice the dosage, just deadly.

I obtained a couple rainbowfish the other week, 3/4 of them had cotton mouth and ich. I quarantined and treated them but 2 died the next day. The last two look healthy now but still quarantined. There's no way I'm gonna introduce them into my community of 30+ fish until they're 100% safe, and they might just succumb to illness in quarantine.

·
Premium Member
5,710 Posts
If you want to treat Columnaris effectively, treat with a combination of nitrofurazone (active ingredient in API Furan 2) and kanamycin ( active ingredient in Seachem Kanaplex). Or, can order 100% powders of both from Jehmco.com or Angelsplus.com.
Are you still dealing with Ich as well? If so, can dose Seachem Paraguard safetly with the nitrofurazone and kananycin. Make sure you are making water changes ( at at least 25%) every couple days to lower bacterial and parasitic load.

·
Banned
178 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
NOTE: ISSUE RESOLVED!

My LFS explained they had some bacterial infection that spread from their newly shipped-in dumbo mosaic ear guppies! I'd bought 3 of them, and they called me a few days too late, after 13 total guppies this week died :(

Nothing wrong with my water, and no more ich as of 2 weeks ago.

And no cases of columnaris! (and let's keep it that way)

However, with one of the 14 deaths (forgot to account for my baby mama fish that died after pregnancy due to being attacked by the male fish :mad: (S.I.P Aishi!) came new life. I welcomed 26-27 of her children the day before she crossed the rainbow bridge :)

1 - 12 of 12 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.