The Planted Tank Forum banner
1 - 20 of 53 Posts

·
Registered
100 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 · (Edited)
the title might sound stupid, but I'm just wondering because my guppies is fully bloated with eggs [i think] for 1 week now, maybe more, and I still havent seen any fries anywhere. is it that i put them in a 25cm cube [4gallons] tank so they dont wanna breed or they're just slow 'gestating' or i'm just bad at fish keeping ?

2 aqua one nano HOB filters, with 20watts halogen lamp [i dont know what it equals to], with 40% PWC every 2 weeks.

plants are anubias nana and nana petite, hair grass, and just planted some glossos [damn expensive here ....T _ T.... au$ 10 for ~15 short individuals] dosed with CO2 [1 cup water, 1 cup raw sugar, 1/2 tsp yeast, 1/2 bicarb soda]

I got 2 half black males with 2 leopard females [both having huge tails for females, just gorgeous^^ cant wait for the babies to pop out]

*sorry for the crappy pict*

Attachments

·
Registered
780 Posts
Live birth. It takes a while.

Just throwing this out there but google would have had an answer in like half a second instead of waiting 15 minutes.

·
Premium Member
1,720 Posts
They're very famous for being livebearers :) Big stomach = they're about to give birth, so get ready!

·
Pelvicachromis Lover!
5,106 Posts
The gestation period for guppies is usually about a month. So once one drops their fry, you can count on another drop about a month away. That also explains why your guppy has been so large without dropping the fry. She can be very large for a few weeks before she gives birth.

Just before they drop their fry, the black spot will be very dark and the female's abdomen will look very full and squared off.

Do not be surprised if her fry are not from the two males you have. The females may have been inseminated before you bought them. Female guppies store the semen so they can have several fry from the original father instead of the males you now have.

I finally stopped mine from breeding by separating the males and females. It got to be just too much. The males will never leave the females alone. Generally, you want to have about 3 females per male just to prevent the females from being too harassed.

Also, be aware that guppies eat their fry just as fast as they are dropped. Even the mother will chase down the fry and eat it. So you'll want to be sure to offer the fry lots of hiding places and/or move the female into a breeding chamber which allows the fry to drop into a container that prevents the adult guppies from eating them.

Lastly, cover up the slits in your intake tube as it's very common for guppy fry to get sucked up into the filter.

·
Registered
3,895 Posts
The problem with guppies is that you could keep them in a 100 gallon tank, and they'd eventually outgrow it in numbers. And by eventually, I mean next week.

Seriously, you can't get rid of those things. If you scoop all of them out for 3 weeks, there will always be a fry lodged somewhere, waiting to come out and ruin your day. Guppies: the duckweed that swims.

·
Pelvicachromis Lover!
5,106 Posts
Ah, now don't be so hard on guppies. It's just like teenagers. Sometimes it's best to separate the boys from the girls. They each do great when not mixed.

I really like my male guppies in my 75g. They remind me of flittering butterflies. Just a glint of color here and there. Now that my females have been separated, no more fry. It's been six months since I separated them.

They're friendly fish that are great for beginners and experienced fishkeepers, alike. Simple, easy to grow, overly easy to breed, very colorful, never hide out of fear, will check out your arm to see if you're food (not so bright minded little things), and they're peaceful as heck. If you don't want a million of them, just let the fry become live food for the tank.

·
Registered
100 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
yeah, the first time it spawned in my 29 gal, all of them dissapeared coz my glass catfish and the mums r eating them, and when i was going to catch the remaining fries, they "ran" away T _ T' so now i was thinking, why not move all of the parents to the breeding tank n move them back later after the spawn. ..

true, hahahahha . ..they're just gorgeous little things, greedy n energetic. ..I'll just see if they can be a 'duck weed' in my 25 cube [dont really think so]

·
Pelvicachromis Lover!
5,106 Posts
Yeah, they will need a larger tank. Mine started in a 5g. Then moved to a 20g. Then moved half of them to my 75g to stop the breeding. So you may want to find a way to get them in the 25g. Otherwise, they're a great excuse for a new tank! :hihi:

·
Pelvicachromis Lover!
5,106 Posts
Congratulations, Dad! You have fry! :smile:

Now let's see if they make it through the night.

·
Registered
3,742 Posts
Ah, now don't be so hard on guppies. It's just like teenagers. Sometimes it's best to separate the boys from the girls. They each do great when not mixed.
Hey, we're not all like that.

Cept for me.

Depending on the girl:hihi:

Yeah, their gestation period is about a month. Then they'll start giving birth:D

·
Registered
100 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 ·
hhahahahahha. ..thX ...

I'm gonna put away the dads fr now to reduce the "parents eating children" syndrome, coz i dont think both of the mums are done 'delivering' the babies. ..cant take any picts fr now coz they're still hiding at the back of the tank. ..

·
Registered
100 Posts
Discussion Starter · #15 ·
it's been 2 days now, and it seem that only 10 of "i dont know" manages to survive. ..i've moved both of the daddies, leaving both the mommies still having bloated bellies. ..r they still going to continue spawning or that's just it ???

I got a pict of the little ones swimming at the top. ..[posted at my firsts post]

·
Pelvicachromis Lover!
5,106 Posts
The females are probably done for this drop. Their fat tummies may be from them eating the fry which explains why there are only 10 left. Move the fry to a tank of their own (even a bowl with aeration will work) if you want to keep the 10 fry that's left. Otherwise, let nature take its course. You'll have lots more fry where those came from.

·
Registered
229 Posts
Female Guppies, like Swordtails will continue to produce fry even after the male has been removed from the tank. The females have the ability to "store" sperm from the male and use it even in his absence. :cool:

Swordtails have been known to produce several groups of fry over several months with no male present for the entire time! :icon_wink

Oh yea, they eat their fry :eek:

·
Registered
100 Posts
Discussion Starter · #18 ·
so. ..i've moved 1 mum from the 5gal tank, laving just the other mum that's stil bloated n havent spawn yet, because she started to gestate later than the first one.. .i think i'll leave the mum in this breeding tank for a while. ..

·
Pelvicachromis Lover!
5,106 Posts
How are the moms and their fry doing? Did the one you left drop her fry yet? Is she eating the other fry? Let us know how it's going.

1 - 20 of 53 Posts