The Planted Tank Forum banner

Guppies and Tiger Endler advice needed

3K views 15 replies 7 participants last post by  buggyInteger 
#1 ·
Hi, I am trying to decide if I want to get Tiger Endlers and guppies or just the guppies or vice versa. The determining factor is if they well school/swim together or not. Any one who knows advice welcome. Thanks

#2 ·
Mostly they will end up filling the area. Not so much a schooling around. They both chase each other around and such. With smaller schooling fish, I tend to add a couple larger fish as well. This gets schooling fish to actually school a bit more. If they don't have something to kind of herd them they will just spread out and tank over the tank. Especially Endlers and Guppies. Some of the minnow types are more likely to school about.
Chili rasboras seem to school around easily/naturally.

#3 ·
Ok thanks. I don’t know about larger fish it’s going to be a fairly well stocked 10g. The other fish in it will be (6) CPDs and some (3) Asian stone catfish. I suppose my question is will they treat the others similarly or if they will act like two separate groups? Thanks.

#4 ·
They will not maintain two separate shoals in the same tank if that's the guts of your question. The guppies and endlers will intermingle and fill the space as @Aaronious indicated. Whether one or both or the other they do not seem to school ime.

I often ask these questions too. I like to build a community tank around a strong schooling fish of middling size. I think a big pack of [insert name here] swimming around in a tight cluster as a centerpiece is the chef's kiss. Tiger barbs do this but I would not recommended for a tank your size, just as an example of a schooling fish. Guppies group up or shoal and there are tons of little interactions to watch but less synchronous traveling. Another better example of shoaling would be peacock gudgeons. They just hang out together and occasionally decide who the boss man is. The jerdoni cats you're aiming for also group up. Though they'll find a dark corner and lay up all together until lights out. Though if they smell bloodworm they'll wake up.

#8 ·
I know this is way late, may be old news to you by now. But that's over stocked. Rule of Thumb is 1 gallon per inch of fish. Just to make it easy, I would count your fish and 1 inch per. So you have about 1.5x recommended, plus shrimp and snails. If you stay up on your water changes, like never longer than 7 days, and probably better with more often than once a week, you'll be okay. But that gets tiresome down the road. If you go out of town for a week or just have a hard weekend you'll skip a week here or there. Or just may come home from vaca to a few dead fish and a bummed out pet sitter. lol. People take it personally some times when a fish dies on their watch.

#9 ·
Hmm well i know ill be a little overstocked… definitely fantly pushing the edge but that rule I would say is VERY flawed. I recognize that to some degree it has potential for things like small tropical fish but you have to use common sense as well. I currently have 15-18ish neocaridina shrimp 3 mystery snails and 5 endlers in it I will be adding 6 CPDs on friday and maybe a few harbosus or Pygmy corys sometime in the next 2-3 weeks. If i feel as it is over stocked I will try to lessen the Load but right now it feels Barren with the endlers. I didn’t end up with guppies However.

If you trust aqadvisor it says im at 120ish stocking and 95 filtration however this has no factor of plants helping water quailty. Ive also read that it goes a little on the lower side of stocking. It is not prefect I know and I only used it to get an idea for how I would be stocking.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.