The Planted Tank Forum banner
1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
275 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
So find myself pruning not because of excessive growth, or for die off, but as a result of slightly older leaves getting a coating of hard, dark algae. I struggle with what seems to be Green Spot Algae.

The glass gets it's share, as well, but my biggest gripe is that it'll cover a patch of leaves and they'll curl up.

No other algae seems to be able to take root - no hair, and only the smallest of BBA sprigs on rare occasions.

I am running 2 39 watt t5ho for an 8 hour cycle in a 29 gallon tank. I stock with dry ferts and do weekly 50% water changes. My no3 hangs at around 20ppm, and po3 is around 2ish.

I keep the co2 at around 3 bubble per second, to counter the tank's high rate of water flow. (i like things wavy, what can I say) My drop checker stays just not-quite yellow with a calibrated solution in it.

I add Kno3 (3 smidges every 1/3/5th day, kh2po4 (1 dash 1.3.5th day), k2so4 (half a smidge 1/3/5th day), and a smidge of fe/micros on the other days.

STUMPED.

Too much light? not adding something else? Frustrated..

·
Registered
4,221 Posts
Knocking on wood here but I don't have GSA at the moment.

Try more phosphate, less light. You could raise the lights, shade the tank with window screening and/or cut down on the light period. I don't know how large smidges and dashes are but I currently dose 5 parts of nitrate to 1 part of phosphate in my well lit, CO2 and dry fertz dosed tank and was dosing 4:1 but the floaters seem like they would like more nitrate.

1 - 4 of 4 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.