The Planted Tank Forum banner
1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
299 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 · (Edited)
I've seen this in slower growing stem plants often but now I'm getting it on all of them, even downoi and rotala that were previously thriving.

This tank was recently switched to shrimp priority since adding OEBT shrimp, discontinued EI dosing and switched to PPS pro macros with reduced Miller's microplex .08 +Iron .01+seachem iron .01=.1ppm Fe daily

Running co2 around 15ppm 24/7

Water is DI remineralized to GH 7 KH 5 with saltyshrimp GH+KH

Anyone know what causes it? Nitrogen deficiency?

bonus shrimp pic

·
Registered
5,934 Posts
Your own picture shows GSA on the sub. You need to reduce light just as much as you reduced the ferts to avoid this. Raising the light AND shortning the length of it being on
for the best results but just shortening the photoperoid will work sometimes.
People usually turn off the CO2 at lights off as plants only use it while actually growing
and once the light goes out...

·
Registered
299 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
That makes sense, I've reduced the light intensity and photoperiod. I had the co2 on a timer but decided to just leave it running steadily at a lower amount to avoid fluctuations, in the hope it's easier on shrimp. The lily pipe stays elevated, churning water for aeration so I h ave to add a lot of co2 even with a Rex reactor.

Anyone know if the gsa in the tip can be attributed to any specific deficiency?

·
Registered
206 Posts
Quick question you state : "Running co2 around 15ppm 24/7"

How do you estimate the ppm for Co2?

·
Fresh Fish Freak
24,403 Posts
At night plants release CO2, so I'd put that timer back on to reduce the risk of gassing out your livestock.

If it's just the tips of the plants closest to the lights that are developing the algae, then I'd try raising up your light fixture a bit.

·
Registered
299 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
Thanks! I thought about the plants releasing co2 at night before going 24/7, I don't think it could be a significant amount of co2 released by the plants.. at least not enough to endanger livestock when added to the already conservative 15ppm. If o2 was low it may be worse.

The gsa I'm seeing is in a lot of plants, even in downoi at substrate level. I'm running a current satellite+ at 12" above the substrate, reduced power (cloud 3) for two 5 hour photo periods with a siesta.

1 - 8 of 8 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.