The Planted Tank Forum banner
1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
50 Posts
Need to get your phosphate down. Not to far. Plants like some phosphate. I always us a poly filter or phosguard to keep to level down. That is the easy way to strive out algae. Also some time algae will live off nitates. Keep them as low as you can & your tank will do great.

·
Registered
1,079 Posts
I have GSA too. Actually it was never an issue until I started EI dosing.

Are you EI dosing??

·
Registered
13,609 Posts
GSA shows up with high PO4's when the CO2 goes south, a large blast of light causes a large demand in CO2. If the CO2 system for dosing it is not responsive, these algae are common.

Try using less light, modifying, shading /screening out some light(say 1/2).
Rework, adjust the CO2, tend the tank more, clean, do water change sin the morning right after the lights come on 2-3x a week till you get things set better, add Excel(for plants and Carbon). Try a multi blackout cycle 3days off, 2-3 days on + water changes right before each change over.

Plenty of useful things to do.
Clean CO2, re evaluate every step of the CO2 etc.

Regards,
Tom Barr

·
Registered
1,742 Posts
GSA shows up with high PO4's when the CO2 goes south, a large blast of light causes a large demand in CO2. If the CO2 system for dosing it is not responsive, these algae are common.

Try using less light, modifying, shading /screening out some light(say 1/2).
Rework, adjust the CO2, tend the tank more, clean, do water change sin the morning right after the lights come on 2-3x a week till you get things set better, add Excel(for plants and Carbon). Try a multi blackout cycle 3days off, 2-3 days on + water changes right before each change over.

Plenty of useful things to do.
Clean CO2, re evaluate every step of the CO2 etc.

Regards,
Tom Barr
Why is it important to do the water changes after the lights are on? So you can see what you are doing?

·
Registered
13,609 Posts
Why is it important to do the water changes after the lights are on? So you can see what you are doing?
No, it adds good reference CO2 that day and you typically see much better pearling when it's done(thus rectifies the CO2 issue, at least for the day and stresses the algae out).

Regards,
Tom Barr

·
Registered
904 Posts
No, it adds good reference CO2 that day and you typically see much better pearling when it's done(thus rectifies the CO2 issue, at least for the day and stresses the algae out).

Regards,
Tom Barr
Would this be true if pressurized CO2 is being used?

I'm interested as I have GSA/GDA also.

1 - 11 of 11 Posts