The Planted Tank Forum banner

1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
119 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
How can i get rid of it? should i remove the affected leaves? a couple every week? or is there another remedy?

Looks like this:

Attachments

·
Registered
791 Posts
GSA is what I have the most trouble with, but not as bad as what you are seeing. I get it in my low light tanks. I don't get it in my med/high light tank with DIY CO2. I recently move an anubias with some GSA from a low light to my high light tank and and the GSA was gone the next day. It must have been the BNP. I can't imagine anything else cleaning it up the fast. If the CO2 killed it, I don't think the leaves would have looked clean the next day.

I do have amanos in each tank. They sample the GSA, but they never to a good job of getting rid of it. The low light tank is a 10g with 6 amanos and the high light a 46g with 3 amanos, so I find it hard to believe they cleaned it up over night.

I also have a 2 or 3 olive nerites in each tank. The also sample the GSA now and then but never get rid of it.

·
Registered
119 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
i just moved the anubias from my 10g with 28w 50/50 pc to a 2.5g with 18w 10000k/7200k pc, dose about 2.5ml of flourish excel every 3-4 days. I was thinking of adding an apple snail, but at my LFS some say that snail will eat the plant and others say it will not eat it.

·
Registered
791 Posts
i just moved the anubias from my 10g with 28w 50/50 pc to a 2.5g with 18w 10000k/7200k pc, dose about 2.5ml of flourish excel every 3-4 days. I was thinking of adding an apple snail, but at my LFS some say that snail will eat the plant and others say it will not eat it.
I used 1ml of excel a day in a 10g, and it did not slow down the GSA. I stopped using it a week or two ago and have not seen any increase in the GSA. I did once try spot treating with excel on my anubias. It killed the GSA and left dead spots on the leaves where the GSA was, so I won't do that again.

In my med/high light tank, I also stopped using excel a week or two ago, and am now seeing black spots on one of my anubias. Looks like this experiment is over, at least in my med/high light tank, and I'll start using excel again (please, no one lecture me on "finding the cause rather than treating the symptoms").

I was told low phosphates is a primary cause of GSA. I bumped it up plenty high (3ppm if I remember right), and no change. I was also told low CO2 could be the cause. I added two DIY CO2 bottles with very good diffusion (should be plenty for a 10g) and still no change (have since given up with the CO2). I've heard trusted experts make similar complaints about GSA. There seems to be some other cause besides low phosphates or low CO2 that to my knowledge no one has figured out.

1 - 4 of 4 Posts