The Planted Tank Forum banner
1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Registered
671 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Anybody have any advice on how to get that black CO2 proof tubing over the end of a Do!Aqua diffusor? It seems that the tubing is a bit small, and of course it's rigid as could be. Of course I don't want to bust the thing and drive the glass into my fingers, but the tubing just doesn't seem to fit.

Any suggestions?

Thanks,

Tom

·
Doesn't like Kool-Aid
10,125 Posts
Doing those things may work, but remember! You'll have to get the tubing on and off again when you clean the diffuser.

I run CO2 tubing as far as I can, add a check valve, and go with silicone tubing from the check valve to the diffuser. No problems!

·
Registered
767 Posts
Doing those things may work, but remember! You'll have to get the tubing on and off again when you clean the diffuser.

I run CO2 tubing as far as I can, add a check valve, and go with silicone tubing from the check valve to the diffuser. No problems!
+1
i broke my first ceramic diffuser w/some ridgid co2 tubing

·
Registered
671 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
Great ideas, thanks to all! I think I'm going to go the path of using the more flexible tubing on the diffuser. I'm sure that's not going to be a problem to get it attached. Now that hard black stuff, that's a bit of a different story.

Again, thanks to all!

Tom

·
Registered
50 Posts
not to Hijack the thread

with silicone you lose (leech) CO2? I had read here or somewhere else, that it is something to the effect of 6% per foot or something like that...

Is this true? Should we just use vinyl? I have the Hagen ladder/kit, and I have since hooked up a nano diffuser to my pressurized CO2, but using the tubing that came with the ladder. I thinkit is silicone, it certainly is not the standard vinyl air tubing? Should I switch it out?

Was going to start a new thread, but this is pretty close to my question.

FWIW, the tubing I used fit over the nano diffuser after a few tries....

·
Registered
21,012 Posts
with silicone you lose (leech) CO2? I had read here or somewhere else, that it is something to the effect of 6% per foot or something like that...

Is this true? Should we just use vinyl? I have the Hagen ladder/kit, and I have since hooked up a nano diffuser to my pressurized CO2, but using the tubing that came with the ladder. I thinkit is silicone, it certainly is not the standard vinyl air tubing? Should I switch it out?

Was going to start a new thread, but this is pretty close to my question.

FWIW, the tubing I used fit over the nano diffuser after a few tries....
I tried to demonstrate to myself the loss of CO2 through silicone tubing. There was none that I could detect. I used a 25 foot coil of cheap silicone tubing from PetSmart, submerged in water, hooked up to the bubble counter on my CO2 system, with the other end of the tube plugged. I didn't get bubbles in the bubble counter to speak of. That tells me that any loss of CO2 through the silicone tubing would have a very slight effect on the time a CO2 tank would last.

·
Registered
50 Posts
great point

I tried to demonstrate to myself the loss of CO2 through silicone tubing. There was none that I could detect. I used a 25 foot coil of cheap silicone tubing from PetSmart, submerged in water, hooked up to the bubble counter on my CO2 system, with the other end of the tube plugged. I didn't get bubbles in the bubble counter to speak of. That tells me that any loss of CO2 through the silicone tubing would have a very slight effect on the time a CO2 tank would last.
Great point hoppy!

One would think if there was such a loss, that you could plug the end of the silicone tubing, and use it as its own "micro-diffuser" and it would bubble like a long airstone.

i will stick with silicone, myself.

1 - 14 of 14 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.