The Planted Tank Forum banner
1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hello,

I am in need of a way to solve my algae problem. I have had it for over half a year. Im pretty sure its hair algae.

The tank-
*190L (50G) with dimensions 120cm (48") long, 35cm (14") wide and 45cm (18") high.
*Been set up for over a year using the same light tubes

Fertilisers-
*No liquid fertilisers are added however when I first started having the problem I dosed some Seachem Flourish which caused algae grwoth to increase.
*JBL substrate fertiliser (powedery form) underneath pool filter sand.

Lighting-
*2X36 watt NO flourescent tubes
*One tube is 10000K and looks greenish in colour
*One tube is a "plant growth" tri-phospher tube which looks purplish in colour

CO2-
*Just started injecting a few days ago (DIY 2X2L bottles)
-Has not had enough time to take effect
*Airstone diffusors
*According to CO2 calculators sits at 35ppm

Water Conditions-
pH- 6.4 (down from about 7.6 before CO2 injection)
kH- 3 degrees
gH- 4 degrees
ammonia- 0ppm
nitrite- 0ppm
nitrate- will test soon and update
CO2- apparently 35ppm

Plants-
Anubias Bateri
Vallisneria
Amazon Sword
Baby Tears
Crypt. Lucens
Hygro. Polyspermia
Water Wisteria
Java Fern
Java Moss

The Inhabitants-
15 cardinal tetras
2 Female Apisto. cac.
2 bolivian rams
2 Dwarf Gouramis (1M, 1F)
1 Bristlenose Pleco
3 Otociniclus
2 Shrimp (Unkown species)

How do I get rid of this very annoying stuff without having to manually remove it each week.

·
Registered
10 Posts
American Flag fish - easy.

I have a 72 gallon bow planted tank that I was removing gobs of hair algae (beard I think) by hand every day. I was ready to tear it down. I have 5 SAEs and 10 Amanos but they didn't touch the hair algae. I found out about the American Flag fish and found a local shop that carried them. Less than a week later and I have very little algae left. Actually I am concerned that I am going to have to start feeding the clean up crew soon as all the algae is more or less gone. I guess that is like complaining about having too much money. Anyways give those little killifish a try.

·
Registered
623 Posts
Shaun, check out this website Algae Prevention
It has the very down to the point answers to what causes different types of algae. That site also has alot of other great information, I have learned alot from it. Thanks Rex

·
Registered
1,394 Posts
you can't depend on a fish to keep your algae in check. that's defenately bba or (black beard algae). it's caused by lack of CO2. on your size tank, i would invest in pressurized and throw the DIY out the door.

·
Registered
623 Posts
you can't depend on a fish to keep your algae in check. that's defenately bba or (black beard algae). it's caused by lack of CO2. on your size tank, i would invest in pressurized and throw the DIY out the door.
well dont literally throw it out the door, they still work great for smaller tanks.
I actually hooked up a second cannister tonight, 30min after I set it up I was getting a bubble every 4 seconds.

1 - 6 of 6 Posts