The Planted Tank Forum banner
1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
231 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi everyone,

is there anyone who can say that their Vallisneria americana var. biwaensis is growing successfully in a CO2-injected, planted tank (pH 6.5)?

I've have had problems growing my Vals every since I switched my low tech tank to CO2-injection. The Vals don't seem to grow well and don't put out any runners. I'm not sure they will survive in the long run.

I am considering moving the Vals to a low tech tank, but perhaps I'm doing something wrong (I do not feed Excel)?

Would be nice to know that some is actually growing Vals under similar conditions. Thank you for your reply.

·
Planted Tanker
6,051 Posts
Mine grew nicely under med light + 3x daily excel (they melted initially then came right back). A few months later I switched to co2 and they became unruly. The problem is, they stopped growing tall and began sprouting runners all over the tank. I found it impossible to keep them contained to their designated area. I actually phased them out completely because of that.

I also upped the light by about 25% with the addition of real co2. I think that had a lot to do with it, probably more of a factor than just co2.

·
Registered
109 Posts
my val is just starting to spread runners and popping up ever where. 6.5 ph about 30 ppm co2.
i always find val tends to melt then restart co2 or no co2 ,i would give it time.

·
Registered
231 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Mine grew nicely under med light + 3x daily excel (they melted initially then came right back). A few months later I switched to co2 and they became unruly. The problem is, they stopped growing tall and began sprouting runners all over the tank. I found it impossible to keep them contained to their designated area. I actually phased them out completely because of that.

I also upped the light by about 25% with the addition of real co2. I think that had a lot to do with it, probably more of a factor than just co2.
Thanks burr740,
I wish I had your "unruly" problem with my vals. Mine have definitely stopped putting out runners and they just don't look healthy. It is good to know that vals grow well with high CO2. So that shouldn't be the problem then. Thanks for mentioning that you "upped the light by about 25%". I will concentrate on light now, as other plants grow well and perhaps shade out the vals.
I am surprised that you fed excel 3x daily, and that your vals did well. Initially, I dosed excel every other day in addition to CO2, but I stopped dosing excel because the vals started loosing their leaves. (may be i should have continued?) Anyway, they never really recovered so I figured that CO2 and low pH may not be good for them.

my val is just starting to spread runners and popping up ever where. 6.5 ph about 30 ppm co2.
i always find val tends to melt then restart co2 or no co2 ,i would give it time.
thanks D.Rodgers,
this is really good additional information confirming that vals don't have any problem with CO2. I suppose I will have to focus now on light and water flow.

Thanks guys for your replies. :)

1 - 4 of 4 Posts