The Planted Tank Forum banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
1,611 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I have a question about growing UG and other plants like rotala mini type I, ammania bonsai, r. verticillaris, p. erectus, L. arcuata, L. senegalensis, r. nanjenshan in water with a GH of 10 or 179ppm. Is that possible or will I melt these plants away? and if so would ion exchange be ok just for plants? or do I have to go RO/DI?

I am mainly concerned about the UG, r. mini and p. erectus and r. verticillaris.

Other parameters are 75 gal, CO2, 216w T5HO 6700K, eco complete, 24 degrees centigrade, KH 7, pH 7.

·
Registered
931 Posts
Rotalas can all be grown in hard water. I have ridiculously hard water, and i've never had a ton of trouble from them. Ludwigias, too, should all be fine.

Pogostemons can sometimes be difficult, but once they acclimate, they grow just fine. I used to have some downoi that did just fine in my water, and the water in chicago is pretty similar to that from most of michigan, i have family up there.

·
Banned
332 Posts
Of your plant list I have grown the following without difficulty in very hard water, ph higher then 7.8 etc. The r. verticillaris is pogostemon erectus, same plant and they grow great for me in hard water. Ammania bonsai also grows well for me as do most of the rotalas and ludwigias. I typically get much better colour out of the red colored rotalas in softer water. U.G. grew for me but slowly and never really took off the way it seems to in soft water tanks.The The Ammania Bonsai aka more accurately known as Rotala Indica and pogostemon erectus ( formerly rotala verticillaris) grew gang busters for me in hard water. If I forgot a water change or ferts, all the rotala macandra derivatives, ie the minis and butterfly, magenta etc seemed to suffer disproportionately in harder water tanks. RO is brilliant but is unfortunately really wasteful if you are doing 50% water changes weekly. If you have african cichlids or other hard water fish you can use the waste water in their tanks. If you have a water softener in your house then run your hard water through it first. Apparently RO membranes can more efficiently remove sodium then they can magnesium or calcium.

·
Registered
183 Posts
Hobbes - I just got a sweet 2x3 inch patch of UG from dollface yesterday and my water is liquid rock. If I have any success with it I'll let u know.

1 - 7 of 7 Posts