The Planted Tank Forum banner
1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
38 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I have been trying to grow red mangroves numerous times and haven't had any luck. For those of you who have had success growing red mangroves how are you going about growing them properly.

·
Registered
18 Posts
I only briefly grew some, so I cant add too much- I would definitely look into freshwater mangrove forests in southeast asia and find what you can about their natural habitat. They need tons of light, benefit from a deep substrate (sand or mud in the wild) , and would certainly appreciate a fair bit of nutrients. How have you been growing them previously?

·
Registered
38 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
I have been growing them a few different ways , I have put them in hang out back filters, and I have floated them in the floater using some float -type material and I have used shower caddys on the glass.

·
Registered
1,135 Posts
I have about a dozen propagules that are a year and a half old. My turtle ate all the tops off them at one point so they've had to restart growing once, but I find them to be entirely undemanding. I have some in a pot in the window with soil & a sand cap, and some shoved in the sand sticking out of my guppy tank and they're both happy.

I think they really need to be in the substrate.

1 - 4 of 4 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.