The Planted Tank Forum banner
1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
1,006 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
what would be the best way to grow out stem plants quickly ?

I was thinking a 5 gallon with two 10 w cfl @67000k
dirtted and double excel
dose this sound like it would work well?

filterless
no fish/shrimp

·
Registered
1,836 Posts
Excel is not always the best choice. It can harm plants. Co2 is much better. Laying the plants down horizontally so that they grow new stems from each node works well. I sometimes simply float them that way they gain co2 from the air.

·
Premium Member
1,885 Posts
High CO2 would work but the 24hr light period won't. In my experience plants only need 6-8hrs of good light. If you give them 24hr light I think you will just get algae.

·
Registered
20 Posts
yea with 24hr lighting you'd get some crazy algae going. Though it'd be an interesting experiment if you had a UV sterilizer or some type of algaecide + high CO2 + 24hr light.

·
Registered
250 Posts
In the long run, I think you would severely damage or kill the plants if the lights were on 24/7.

Plants need a time of rest to complete photosynthesis.

·
Registered
361 Posts
I would go with what other people have said and use high light, high co2. If you already have a pressurized system you're good to go, otherwise put a bunch of DIY co2 reactors on.

I've noticed that many plant species I've kept point their leaves up towards the surface at the end of the day, even while the lights are on. I've read that this is a sign that they're pretty much done with photosynthesis for the day, and further light doesn't do much. That being said, I wouldn't do a 24 hour light period.

·
Super Moderator
12,058 Posts
It should be mentioned that not all plants need a rest period. Some plants do fine with 24 hours of lighting.
Can you give some examples? I'm curious what plants will do well under 24 hours of lighting (and why?)

·
Registered
1,137 Posts
In jr high , we grew fruit and vegetable seedling under 24/7 lit incubators for 3 months.

FYI, Marijuana plants grown in Green Houses receive 24/7 lighting.

·
Premium Member
848 Posts
Most plants won't do well with with 24hr photo period. Almost all stem plants grow like weeds

Sent from my DROID RAZR using Tapatalk

1 - 13 of 13 Posts