The Planted Tank Forum banner

1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
593 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
One of the comments in this thread (http://www.plantedtank.net/forums/g...nt-proximety-heater-placement.html#post917486) made me wonder if anyone has ever attempted to grow moss on their heater in order to hide it. I'm thinking it might be a bit hard to do with the glass heaters since they are so smooth it wouldn't give much for the moss to adhere to, but a plastic Stealth heater might be perfect. Anyone ever try something like this? Got pictures, comments, instructions, etc.?

Thanks,
Harry

P.S. According to that thread it seems the heat will not kill the moss as one person has attempted this ... I've already asked him how, just waiting for a response :icon_lol:

·
Registered
1,449 Posts
I've been trying to grow flame moss on the PVC pipes in my tank for months. It won't attach. On the other hand, the moss has attached relatively easily to driftwood and rocks.

Another concern would be the temperature issue. Moss does not like heat.

·
Super Moderator
11,976 Posts
As you mentioned, I would imagine that the glass on the heater would be too smooth for the moss to attach to.

FrostyNYC, have you tried sanding your PVC pipes? That might give it enough "texture" for the moss to adhere to.

1 - 5 of 5 Posts