The Planted Tank Forum banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hello!
I know that my post isn't directly related with this forum, but I need some info regarding moss, and I know that you guys are experts on this topic.

I am seeking advice on planting moss into the container (It will be outside, some of it on full sun, some of it in partial shade). I know about the gravel for drainage and the fact that you should use a well drained soil. I am not sure if I need to have an activated carbon / lump wood charcoal layer also. I know that you need it inside, but not sure if I need it outside?

·
Registered
2,737 Posts
You are overthinking it for an outside container. Just put some holes in the bottom so it doesn't flood and fill it with dirt, put the moss ontop of the dirt and you are done. This is how moss grows in nature after all. If you were doing it inside you would want an abg mix just to make sure it didn't compact and the soil start to smell. That/s really not needed for an outdoors container.

I kept moss growing in a very thin layer of soil outside all summer long using the lid of a storage container if that helps at all. Good luck.

·
Registered
1,360 Posts
Moss outside is too easy. If you want someone who specializes in this, there is a YouTube channel called SerpaDesign, go check him out, he will explain the entire process.

1 - 6 of 6 Posts