The Planted Tank Forum banner
1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
1,568 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Well...can it be done? Can emersed hygrophila survive in normal room humidity? If so, it would be an amazing sight, especially with all the flowers emersed hygros tend to produce.

·
Registered
1,413 Posts
I've got hygro angustifolia and compact emersed currently growing out of the tank and filter, I've also had difformis emersed as well. They seem to do better than crypts and anubias do in low humidity environments, they're both several inches to a foot above the surface on an open to tank

·
Registered
1,568 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
OK, thankx! I guess I will just need to carefully acclimate them to such conditions then...

Bump: One other question...will any other stem plants do well escaping the tank into normal room air?

·
Registered
2 Posts
Im growing some Hygrophila Pinnatifida trimmings out of my refugium and its doing fine so far. If it survives im going to transplant it into my emerged growth tank and grow it out. I currently have Sandriana (chinese dermensis) and Acorus grass growing emerged as well. And from what I've read most stem plants can fair well above the water line. Humidity is the real factor. If your house tends to be a bit dry and arid try misting the plants once or twice a day to help the acclimatize.

·
Registered
472 Posts
My Hygrophila difformis grew out of the tank and adjusted to my room humidity very well believe it or not. However, it eventually died when I moved the acclimated stem to a shaded part of my room, and it couldn't supply itself with photosynthesis. And ditto, because of this, I believe Hygrophila are more adaptable to lower humidity than Anubias.

·
Registered
1,261 Posts
I grow hygrophilia difformis in a damp/moist area of my garden. I cut some and put it in my tanks in summer and the leaves turn the typical 'lacy' type after about two weeks under water.

·
Registered
1,568 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
The bowls in question will be lit by a south facing window about 8-9 ft away, so there should be plenty of light for a tolerant plant like Hygrophila corymbosa or H. difformis. Pity H. polysperma is considered a noxious weed in the US...I'd love to have the sunset variant.

1 - 9 of 9 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.