The Planted Tank Forum banner

1 - 3 of 3 Posts

·
Registered
20 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
So Ive seen alot of HC grown in smaller tanks where lighting is closer to the substrate therefore reducing the need for super powerful lighting equipment to acheive a low lying carpet with such a light hungry plant.

However I havent found any tanks that have grown HC in a tank so deep such as a 55 gallon tank.

What would it take to grow HC in a tank that tall with a T5HO fixture?

I currently have a x2 bulb T5HO coralife fixture and all the carpeting plants I have tried have only grown upwards as if to indicate not enough light to achieve the low lying carpet effect.

The more I think about it, the more I just want to go for a x6 bulb T5HO fixture so if I ever decide to go toward a saltwater reef aquarium, I will have plenty of lighting.

Another concern is x6 too much light? If so can I take bulbs out? Are there fixtures where if you take a bulb out, it will make the other bulbs go out?

Thanks for your input!

Also know I have pressurized Co2 and dosing EI dry ferts.

·
Registered
1,001 Posts
What? There are many with HC in 75/125g tanks which has very similar depths. As long as you don't cheap out with the light like many do you could do what you want with a 3-bulb T5HO. 6 will be a little much, IMO. You could get the fixture as you state in case you go SW and just unplug a couple of the bulbs or raise up off the tank. I never had a problem just unplugging bulbs but some may be grouped and need all bulbs to be connected. This is probably different from manufacturer to manufacturer.

·
Registered
20 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Thanks for the info! Ya I didnt doubt that there WERE large tanks out there with HC just that I haven't found any yet, especially with the description of the equipment on the tank. Thanks for your input!

1 - 3 of 3 Posts