The Planted Tank Forum banner

1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
290 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
does anyone have any experience on growing HC above water?
im currently building a 40gal breeder paludarium and i was thinking of using HC in it

·
Registered
695 Posts
it will do fine just dont let the roots get too wet alot of people use this and other plants. heres a tip don't ask paludarium/vivarium questions here since most people don't have any experiences in them here lol try something like Dendroboard :D

·
Registered
246 Posts
To grow HC, you have to slowly acclimate it to growing emmersed. As it is, your sample of the plant is very likely accustomed to growing submersed, so if you were simply to plant it in the land section of your vivarium, it would most likely dry out rapidly and die. The best idea is to plant it in a shallow transition area where your water section slopes up to the land section. This way, most of the plant will continue to grow sumbersed, but some of it will have the tops growing emersed while still having easy access to water. In this way, the plant can grow and naturally creep on to the land section. Otherwise, try planting in near a water feature where it will constantly recieve spray from the moving water. Make certain it gets lots of light, and mist it regularly (we're talking several times a day) if you pursue this method to make certain that the plant doesn't dry out. As before mentioned, dendroboard.com is an excellent source for information about vivaria. Good luck.

·
Registered
290 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
thx guys. i already post in dendroboard, really great site.

i was thinking of putting it in shallow water so parts of it will start to creep out of water. I have flourite mixed with shultz' as a substrate, but i'll think about the aqual soil.

BTW, when its on land, does it attaches to rocks/wood? or does it need to be in some kind of substrate?

1 - 5 of 5 Posts