The Planted Tank Forum banner
1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
500 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I just wanted to know which would grow better in my 60 gal tank with 108 watts from HO t-5 Catalina fixture, EI dosing, and Pressurizes CO2: Glossostigma elatinoides or Hemianthus callitrichoides

I currently have dwarf sag but got can of bored of it...also if you can share your experience with these two plants...it would be greatly appreciated Thanks in advanced!

·
Super Moderator
12,131 Posts
I think with the lighting you have, either plant will do well.

HC is a bit harder to plant because of its small size, and can easily get uprooted before it develops roots. Many people like using the dry start method to avoid this.

·
Super Moderator
12,131 Posts

·
Registered
3,895 Posts
Personally, I hate HC. I'll be trying it again in January, but this is like the 5th time I've attempted it. I've gotten it to grow emersed, submersed, but most of all, floating. It does not like to stay down.

·
Registered
500 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Personally, I hate HC. I'll be trying it again in January, but this is like the 5th time I've attempted it. I've gotten it to grow emersed, submersed, but most of all, floating. It does not like to stay down.
Hmm that might be a problem since I have Schultz Aquatic Soil...maybe if I add a small amount of pool filter sand to the area where I want to plant it....

·
Registered
1,618 Posts
I was wondering about HC. Could you not keep it down with placing a glass plate almost on top of it so that there is still water flow? In small sections so that some are rooted and then once they are you can remove the glass and let it grow out. Would that work?
Personally, I've grown both in high tech set ups and both worked great. I have a preference for small leaved plants consequently I preferred HC (not I'm carpeting my 75 gal with UG) but once my HC had rooted both are equally easy in your setup. Like fischscale mentioned, getting it to root though in the first place can be a ***** (enter expletive)

·
Registered
500 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
Am I actually able to grow HC or glosso with my setup I am being told no on other forums.... they say that the plants will grow leggy(vertical) instead of horizontal?

·
Registered
1,618 Posts
I'd say try it. Lighting is a little on the light side. Whats the lumen output on that light? Any with usual w/g rules yea it's low, but a HO T5 could work. Anyway you can add one strip?

·
Registered
500 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
I'd say try it. Lighting is a little on the light side. Whats the lumen output on that light? Any with usual w/g rules yea it's low, but a HO T5 could work. Anyway you can add one strip?
One bulb is 10000k and the other is a 6500K...I wont be able to add another strip right now maybe later if I can get a cheap one....

·
Registered
21,012 Posts
Growing HC and glosso is more dependent on having good CO2 than on having very high light intensity. If you have good CO2, meaning more than 30 ppm, with good water circulation, you can grow them with less light than most people assume is needed.

1 - 11 of 11 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.