The Planted Tank Forum banner

1 - 2 of 2 Posts

·
Registered
52 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 · (Edited)
Hi everyone. I'm considering trying to grow emersed plants in my sump. I thought about building a small acrylic platform that would support some small plastic cups full of aquasoil. The idea was to drill holes in the cups so that I could have water flowing through the bottom 1/3-1/4 of the cup, providing moisture to the soil and roots whilst leaving the plant in the open air. Theoretically, the air temperature would be close to the water temp at about 25 celcius and the humidity would be reasonably high due to the enclosed cabinet. Anyone tried anything similar or see a good reason why it wouldn't work? Lighting is still to be decided but there would be plenty of room for it.

Something like this.

·
Registered
217 Posts
Water in the sump does not mean high humidity in the cabinet. Instead place the plants under water and allow the plants to naturally grow out of the water. This will acclimatize them to the conditions of the sump or cabinet.

Ensure that the light is very far from the plants. I once let Tissue culture containers with plants in them to float in my tank for a few hours until I could plant them. They were close to the light and died due to intense light. This happened even though the tissue culture containers being sealed.

1 - 2 of 2 Posts