The Planted Tank Forum banner
1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
146 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I have been doing EI dosing since tank startup a couple months ago. I had green spot algae on bogwood after the first week, which i dont mind. But now I am starting to grow green slime algae on the wood and plants, and there a 2 little tufts of BBA growing on one of my driftwoods as well.

My giant hygro was growing very well but has started to stunt, new leaves are growing in gnarled and twisted, and old leaves are getting brown holes.

My jungle Vals are growing rapidly, but the new leaves are turning red and brown very quickly after appearing.

I am dosing EI exactly as written on the Barr Report for tanks 60-80 gallons.

Am I over dosing or underdosing something? any advice is appreciated.

·
Registered
13,609 Posts
I have been doing EI dosing since tank startup a couple months ago. I had green spot algae on bogwood after the first week, which i dont mind. But now I am starting to grow green slime algae on the wood and plants, and there a 2 little tufts of BBA growing on one of my driftwoods as well.

My giant hygro was growing very well but has started to stunt, new leaves are growing in gnarled and twisted, and old leaves are getting brown holes.

My jungle Vals are growing rapidly, but the new leaves are turning red and brown very quickly after appearing.

I am dosing EI exactly as written on the Barr Report for tanks 60-80 gallons.

Am I over dosing or underdosing something? any advice is appreciated.
Light and CO2 are larger factors than any dosing routine.

Sounds like poor CO2.........GH booster is being added?

·
Registered
146 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
I have 2x55W PC lights 20 inches from substrate. Yes I am injecting CO2 my drop checker is light green. I do add seachem Equilibrium at weekly water change. I might try root tabs and see if that helps.

·
Registered
146 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
I think my problem is that my bacopa australis grew super fast, it started blocking light to other plants. The algae was growing throughout the bacopa. I removed almost all the bacopa and the algae went with it. I just did a water change and everything is pearling. Hopefully the algae gets out-competed.

The mass of bacopa was so huge that it was hindering flow from the filters, so CO2 might not have been circulating too.

·
Registered
13,609 Posts
OR has low GH/KH tap water generally...........so that's why I asked.

the nutrients are not the issue, the light might be a tad high and the CO2 sure sounds off/poor etc. Please.........stop trusting the Drop checkers...........start looking at the plants, the algae etc.......those are the "Test kit".

You adjust CO2 slowly and careful so you do not gas fish etc.

But if you have all the ferts, nice new bright lights......the only thing left is CO2 really, other wise the plants should be growing well.

1 - 11 of 11 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.