The Planted Tank Forum banner
1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
46 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I joined this forum because well, I'm terrible at keeping aquarium plants. The only stuff I was successful at was Java fern.

Anyway, do you guys know how to grow the "good" green algae that lots of fishes like to eat?? I have a 70 gallon Tanganikan tank and would like to grow algae so my duboisis can graze. I also think it looks well. All I have right now is brown algae. Second question: How can I control/eliminate the brown algae?

Any feedback will be appreciated:smile:

Ted

·
Registered
517 Posts
he probably means a TYPE that tangs wont eat. i'm assuming tangs will only eat certain kinds of algae, and just throwing light at a tank won't always get you the same algae.. or will it i don't know? depends what's going on in the water hmm?

·
Registered
46 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
Well, I think I didn't get my message clearly. I want a type of algae the the cichlids WILL eat, not the dirty brown algae that's ugly. SO youo recommend lots of light? What do you also recommend for the control of brown algae?

·
Registered
1,985 Posts
Well, I think I didn't get my message clearly. I want a type of algae the the cichlids WILL eat, not the dirty brown algae that's ugly. SO youo recommend lots of light? What do you also recommend for the control of brown algae?
IME, lots of light will produce a green algae and eliminate others.

·
Registered
562 Posts
it also might help if you get a "contaminated" piece of something that has the kind of algae you want on it. I know I've got hair algae in every tank now because I got some from a piece of dwarf hairgrass...

·
Registered
46 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
it also might help if you get a "contaminated" piece of something that has the kind of algae you want on it. I know I've got hair algae in every tank now because I got some from a piece of dwarf hairgrass...
:icon_lol: Sorry, you should get some SAE to take care of that.

I was planning to change my light anuway so I can grow vallis, so I guess I'll be able to grow some green algae naturally. Thanks guys!

1 - 12 of 12 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.