The Planted Tank Forum banner
1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
104 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 · (Edited)
hi,

I saw few video about "flood light" that can be used for a planted aquarium and it works like a champ.
then I Found out about LED grow light.

which one is better for a planted aquarium?

from price wise, I think flood light is cheaper cause u can direct link it to a cable and plug-in electricity, while led grow light I need to find a fitting and the holder.

what do you guys think?

this is flood light

this is led grow light bulbs

·
Registered
5,576 Posts
Whichever is easiest for you to utilize.
Believe flood light might provide more spread over wider area.
Clamp on shop light, or reptile lamps could house the LED bulb(s) and could rest on glass over the tank.
Or can construct support for light(s) out of electrical conduit,elbows,hooks.

·
Registered
59 Posts
I use both in some of my tanks. Just make sure the floodlight has a color temp of 6500k up to 8000k. For the grow light, they will do but it is not aesthetically pleasing (if you don't mind your tank looking reddish/purplish).

Here's my floodlight:

My led grow light is like this:

·
Registered
528 Posts
I use a 6500k LED flood and love it. It gives the shimmer that people rave about withe kessil, grows plants like a champ and for 340 dollars less. Ive used floods on more than a few tanks and at this point I wouldnt try another light unless it was given to me for free. Ive seen kessils running on tanks at our lfs and even the owner and employees were jelly of my lighting. The various wattages make it fairly easy to match to any tank and the expense is negligible compared to speciality lighting. The most bang for my buck so far has been an led flood using 6500k bridgelux chips with meanwell drivers, wow are those things bright. You can even find these floods with lenses of various degrees, cob led floods are brighter and give you more shimmer than the smd.

1 - 6 of 6 Posts