The Planted Tank Forum banner
1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
1,315 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I havent done much with groundcovers yet, but planning on including groundcover plants in my future tank, if I can. The main problem being that large Clown Loaches are known to be 'bulldozers'. So far mine are only in the 4"-5" range and havent had any issue with plants, though most everything I have is pretty tough. So would there be a good groundcover that isnt delicate and roots well? Dwarf sag seems to root really well in my current tank, but it seems many say they can grow much taller than mine have so far.

The tank should be able to grow about anything, it'll be high tech, co2, aquasoil, EI, and lighting I havent decided on but looks like it will be 10 ahsupply 55W kits (2.3WPG over a 240g tank). I looked into MH and T5 but the ahsupply are just much more reasonably priced, and its been a hassle getting 4' bulbs through the mail.

·
Registered
2,783 Posts
I think Glosso. It roots so fast and grows so quickly that you may be able to get it at least partially established before your loaches demolish it.

·
Registered
3,254 Posts
I am thinking more of a Marselia spp.....they are like glosso but deeper roots and glower growing/less maintenance. Try that.

·
Registered
1,315 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
I did a search for this Marselia, it does look promising. I have never seen it before, so it'll have to be mail ordered I assume. Do you think for sure its deeper rooting than glosso?

And also, any other slightly taller tough groundcovers? I am going to have a big space in the center of the tank for the main groundcover, glosso, or marselia. There will probably be some rock or short driftood peices that kinda form a natural wall then was thinking about a different, taller groundcover, like maybe in the 4" range. I was thinking anubias, but I dont think they'll grow fast enough and I dont want to spend a ton on getting a lot of them. Anyone have any experience with crypt parva? I have a notepad I started making months ago and I noted that it was a very short crypt that would do well in medium to high light.

·
Registered
2,622 Posts
If you're looking for some height then C. parva is not what you want. Besides being small and surface hugging, it is extremely slow growing. C willisii might be a better choice as far as foreground Crypts go. It gets 4-5" tall and spreads a lot faster than parva. But even that is slow compared to a true groundcover like Glosso.

There's also the option of E. tenellus, Dwarf hairgrass, or Lilaeopsis for a taller, grassy look. Of these the tenellus may be the eaisest to keep down as it develops a longer root structure than the other two.

Regarding the low foreground plants, with Glosso and Marselia you can plant it by taking a 2-3" piece of runner (with several plantlets on it) and pulling it all beneath the substrate except for one leaf. This will make it harder to be pulled up by your fish. Glosso spreads new runners a lot faster than Marselia. But once Marselia gets started there's no stopping it.

When I first set up my 125g tank I started patches of Marselia, Glosso, and Dwarf Hairgrass in equal thirds of the tank. I wanted to see which one would take over the fastest. After about a month the Glosso easily doubled its area while the Marselia and hair grass did little. After three months the Marselia kicked into overdrive and buried everything in its path. The Glosso and hairgrass didn't stand a chance.

·
Registered
517 Posts
I have experience with two in a no tech 10-gallon tank with a nasty flourite substrate. Cryptocoryne willisii doesn't get big and will spread with runners. If you don't mind crypts, this is a good one up front but it does grow slowly. Elelcharis acicularis is great and you don't need more than a cm square piece to populate your tank. The only negative thing is that it's kind of like a filter for leaves and small pieces of who knows what. I actually comb mine every water chage to get the staghorn algae that seems to have taken a liking to it for whatever reason.

1 - 6 of 6 Posts