The Planted Tank Forum banner
1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
62 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I'm trying to think of a short, dense ground cover for my 10 gallon aquarium:

Try to ignore the yellow plants in the middle, they are actually green, the camera always wants to reflect the yellow from the caves onto things...
Since I already have plants with the elongated and slender leaf thing going on I'm trying to find a ground cover that is short, dense, and which has a leaf type that is dissimilar from the plants already in my aquarium. I'd prefer if it didn't take over my hardscape too.
This is my first attempt at a planted aquarium, so it would be good if it wasn't a difficult plant to keep. The substrate is eco-complete, it does have Nutrafin plant gro fertilizer, but no CO2 injection. Lighting is a floraglo aquarium bulb - 20 watts

My ultimate vision is: The ground cover to form a short carpet that stays mostly just on the substrate. The wisteria that I have in the center back to form a tall wall back there, the Amazon Sword to be in the other corner looking lovely like it is now, the 3 Java Ferns to fill out and be trained so they become living cave walls to the ornament they are attached to, and that Pennywort I just planted I'll probably move to a corner in the aquarium and allow to grow from the bottom to the top and spread over some of the surface as a floating plant.

·
Registered
68 Posts
I agree with Marislea minuta, I think it will fit the look of your tank well. Also are those caves fake because they look great for fake rocks.:red_mouth

·
Registered
62 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
Thank you for the replies! Those are lovely plants. I think I'll get the marsilea once the plants I have in there already have grown a bit more.
The caves are indeed fake. They are "Topfin Rock Caves", Petsmart carries them pretty regularly. Topfin makes 3 different designs of them that all match, I only had room for 2.

·
Registered
712 Posts
HC is not going to work well without CO2 and high light (something I sense the OP wants to avoid).

How about Lilaeopsis mauritiana...low light, no CO2 grass.

·
Registered
62 Posts
i too am looking for a carpet plant for one of my 10 gallon tanks. But what i have so far microsword which looks nice but it grows incredibly slow

1 - 13 of 13 Posts