The Planted Tank Forum banner
1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
118 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hello all.

I am very much a Newbie to all of this and Need to be Told what to do. I have searched and researched so much my head hurts! :(

I have a 90 gal 48Lx18Wx24D. I have fish only now, and want to convert to planted. I have a 29gal to move the fish to (not to many fish yet). I will save a lot of water and replace 50% with OS when I start the 90 back up.

I currently have a regular 2x40watt light strip. Im not knowledgeable about plants but I want to grow some nice carpet type stuff (riccia) and moss. I also want nice stim type plants that grow tall to cover the tubes and all in the back.

I do not want to get into C02 because it frightens me a lot. I don't know how to monitor c02 levels and all that.

I bought some Flourish liquid fert, and plan to use soil master pro for substrate.

Should I upgrade the light a little? to what wattage? Where to buy?

I don't have a wooden hood to mount retro lights, can they be hung ? Should I just get a PC 216w or 260w fixture ?

With all of this said... I can not make up my mind what to buy,where to buy it etc...

Please tell me what to do...

Thank you!

Chris

·
Premium Member
9,417 Posts
To go without Co2, I'd go 2.2WPG and less. Possbily 2WPG and less. That means ~180W for your tank.

For a nice carpet plant, though, I'd recommend Co2 or else you'll be growing it for a long time.

You can try to get a 4x54W Tek light or any T5HO setup and run it with two bulbs for most of the day with burst lighting of 216W in the middle of the day. You can probably avoid the use of Co2 this way.

·
Registered
118 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
To go without Co2, I'd go 2.2WPG and less. Possbily 2WPG and less. That means ~180W for your tank.

For a nice carpet plant, though, I'd recommend Co2 or else you'll be growing it for a long time.

You can try to get a 4x54W Tek light or any T5HO setup and run it with two bulbs for most of the day with burst lighting of 216W in the middle of the day. You can probably avoid the use of Co2 this way.
So I should shoot for the 216 watt range. Maybe I should get one of those wooden hoods and go retro incase I ever get brave and want to add another lamp and c02.

plus I might save a lil bit of money.

But if I go with a nova extreme or something like that, what is a good online dealer ?

Thanks for the reply

·
Registered
842 Posts
I have a 90 with 220w of compact florescent (2 sets of 2 55W) with pressurized CO2, I run both banks of lights for about 10-12 hours a day and I grow a riccia foreground and many different stem plants.

If you don't have CO2 set up, then I would only run 1/2 that lighting. The thing is you may have to stick with lower light plants. Epic made a good point about setting it up with ~200 watts, but only run half for most of the day. If you go with pressurized, turn on all the lights.

However, I've never had luck growing riccia without CO2. YMMV.

·
Registered
118 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Thanks for the replies.

When I figure out how far into the fire I want to jump, I will let everyone know, then all I will need to know is where is the best place to buy the stuff and what brand etc...

Chris

·
Registered
118 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
I just got my Soil Master (red) today. I will start moving the fish tonight.

I have talked myself into eventually trying c02.. I want to find a 260watt pc light so I can just use half of it until I get c02 going.

Can anyone suggest a good place to buy a 260watt light at a good price ?

I saw a post with a link to some JBJ lights. Are those any good?

Also where is a reasonably priced site where I can get everything I need for c02 including a controller ? It doesn't have to be the best but I don't want something that is going to crapout on me.

Thanks
C

·
Registered
2,602 Posts
I converted my 90g fish only to planted back in Dec/Jan. It went well, but it's better to do it the way you want it from the start, or else you'll be kicking yourself later. I would highly recommend Co2 if you want to grow carpeting plants. I'm growing HM, riccia, hairgrass and HC and all are growing pretty well with Co2 and Tek T-5's. You should shoot for <2wpg without Co2 and 2-3wpg with Co2. I run 4 x 54w for most of the photo period (2.4 wpg). Are you looking for PC, T5's or MH? The difference between each is vast. You can probably pick up a nice PC fixture for ~$200 that will work. I bought my T5 fixture off an Ebay store called "Seeds" for ~$300 (brand new). It is a 6 x 54w, I think the 4 x 54w is around $220-$240. You will also need to buy bulbs, which are $12-25/ea depending on how good. MH is even more expensive, so I guess "good price" is relative depending on what you're shopping for and what your budget is.

·
Registered
118 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
I converted my 90g fish only to planted back in Dec/Jan. It went well, but it's better to do it the way you want it from the start, or else you'll be kicking yourself later. I would highly recommend Co2 if you want to grow carpeting plants. I'm growing HM, riccia, hairgrass and HC and all are growing pretty well with Co2 and Tek T-5's. You should shoot for <2wpg without Co2 and 2-3wpg with Co2. I run 4 x 54w for most of the photo period (2.4 wpg). Are you looking for PC, T5's or MH? The difference between each is vast. You can probably pick up a nice PC fixture for ~$200 that will work. I bought my T5 fixture off an Ebay store called "Seeds" for ~$300 (brand new). It is a 6 x 54w, I think the 4 x 54w is around $220-$240. You will also need to buy bulbs, which are $12-25/ea depending on how good. MH is even more expensive, so I guess "good price" is relative depending on what you're shopping for and what your budget is.
Thanks for the reply. Its good to hear from someone that has the same size tank and has already been there.

I Think for money sake I need to go with a PC light. I still need to spend money on ferts, c02 and finally plants.

There is a guy on eBay selling what looks like coralife knock offs (260watts) with workhorse assemblies for about $150 shipped with my choice of bulbs.

So I think I am leaning towards PC.

Thanks
Chris

1 - 13 of 13 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.