The Planted Tank Forum banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
122 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I had no idea that the common Rice paddy herb you buy from Asian grocery were Limnophila aromatica.. So i planted it in High co2, high Light, plain gravel with EI fert. The grocery one are thin stem with star formation leaves.

It didn't transform into the long narrow leaf, pinkish red colour you see on google image. The leaves just expanded, greenier and thicker stems..why not :icon_frow?

Are they same family but a different plant entirely?

1.5 weeks planted.

·
Registered
821 Posts
I hear this plant grows different out of water than it does when it's in water....I'm not really sure why. To me, it looks like a completely different species all together.

By the way, how did you even get the grocery ones to grow???

·
Registered
122 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
It's usually sold per bunch, select the healthiest looking stems, cut them in half and plant. placing the first row of leaves below the gravel as the anchor, it adapted very quickly.

I hear this plant grows different out of water than it does when it's in water....I'm not really sure why.
Yeah it does, if this is the same plant then there's an extreme appearance difference grown emerged and submerged . im trying to figure out, given time or special treatment will it grow to pinkish red... and vice versa.

·
Registered
1,447 Posts
Give it time. I got my L Cuba in an emersed growth form (which it looked like a pepper plant), and it took it about a month to really grow into it's aquatic state in my high tech tank. As long as it's growing, let it grow as tall you can before trimming it from the bottom and replanting it.

I never understood why aromatica was called that... until I bought some. Those things really have a sent to them, don't they?

·
Children Boogie
16,743 Posts
I have grown the edible type in an aquarium... They are similar but not. I think they're different varieties but same species. The ones eaten will never get the color and form of the ones we're familiar with.

·
Registered
2,343 Posts
Same species, different forms. The one with which we're most familiar is from Malaysia and was originally described as L. hippuridoides (NOT "hippuroides").
http://www.ipni.org/ipni/idPlantNam...ord=true&find_species=h*&output_format=normal
The differences between the established kind and what you have are roughly analogous to those between the 'Cuba' and non-whorled Ludwigia inclinata; submersed growth forms may be different, but otherwise, the differences between them are rather insignificant. As far as I know, that is the state of things. Could change though.

They are both edible.

·
Registered
162 Posts
I had no idea that the common Rice paddy herb you buy from Asian grocery were Limnophila aromatica.. So i planted it in High co2, high Light, plain gravel with EI fert. The grocery one are thin stem with star formation leaves.

It didn't transform into the long narrow leaf, pinkish red colour you see on google image. The leaves just expanded, greenier and thicker stems..why not :icon_frow?

Are they same family but a different plant entirely?

1.5 weeks planted.
Looks like what is known as Limnophila Wavy or Corkscrew. Here are some discussions about it.

http://www.aquaticplantcentral.com/forumapc/plant-id/4845-plant-id-limnophila-aromatica-var.html

http://www.aquaticplantcentral.com/forumapc/sale-trade/11090-f-s-rotala-sp-vietnam-l.html

·
Registered
1,447 Posts
I may have to pay a visit to my local Asian food store (I need to anyway, ran out of bonito flakes...) to see if they have these. They look very pretty to me!

1 - 8 of 8 Posts