The Planted Tank Forum banner

1121 - 1140 of 1160 Posts

·
Registered
2,170 Posts
Discussion Starter #1,121
Yeah much less than I would expect.

How far are they from the substrate?

And I am guessing the 420 is lower PAR than a G. Super Purple. I have never tested the Agromax bulbs, so have no clue there.
So I did some digging and found this:

The Pure Bloom is the PAR killer. I am 26 total inches from lights to substrate.

Do you happen to know what the 660 is for output? I imagine higher than the 12 I got...

Maybe to start adjusting the tank I'll remove the pure bloom and put another super flora in there.

·
Registered
5,705 Posts
Okay, so pulling the pure bloom and adding a third super flora put the bottom center to around 102 PAR, with the same 70% PUR.

That is more of where I had been aiming. I'll let that bake for the next week or so and see what happens. Colors still seems good to me.
I have said this for a long time, but the actual mix of bulbs plays a large role in PAR.

The 660 is relatively weak compared to something like the Super Flora.

·
Registered
2,170 Posts
Discussion Starter #1,125
I have said this for a long time, but the actual mix of bulbs plays a large role in PAR.

The 660 is relatively weak compared to something like the Super Flora.
Yeah, and that is why I had ordered two tropics, as those are (my guess) low to mid 30's on the PAR at my substrate (each), while the super flora came in around 20 last time I tested them alone. Those white bulbs pretty pack a punch!
Based in PUR from other lamps, it also looks like the Geisemanns are responsible for a large bump in PUR.
Yes, for sure. Looking back those AgroMax had relatively lower PUR, but they are also mostly white bulbs. More testing will be needed. Good thing there is lots of snow here to keep me inside (when not clearing the driveway!!).

·
Registered
2,170 Posts
Discussion Starter #1,126 (Edited)
Repost from the share you bulb thread to keep it in my journal as well
___

On my journey to continue to play with combinations, I did some more measuring of single bulbs in the same fashion I did about a year ago (above in this thread). Here are some results, which I found to be rather interesting. Each bulb was give 5 min to warm up before a reading was taken. The other readings from above are still valid aside from the 3000K, which was a bit stronger when measuring this time, so I added the new one below. Thee 3000K was also used for the past year also, so my guess is that either it got a bit stronger when burning in, or I did not let it warm up enough the first time I did it.

I'll be honest... I had forgotten about my testing last year, and really though the Giesemann Super Flora would be a stronger bulb.

Overall, pretty happy with how the new combo is looking right now (I'll work to get a picture later when I can), but am also excited to finally play with a Power Veg 660 and an added fixture(s) in the next couple of weeks.

This is what happens in winter time, more light, more playing! The good news is I have a great bulb assortment to keep color and lower the PAR in the summer months when I am playing outside!

·
Registered
5,705 Posts
Nice post!

I am very surprised by the reading on the G. Super Flora. I've tested individual bulbs several times and it has always been one of the highest PAR's.

I did take all of my readings about 2" under the water surface, so different than yours. But still, that's interesting and I wonder why the difference?

But I guess makes little difference if you are dialing in a PAR and color that you like.

·
Registered
2,170 Posts
Discussion Starter #1,128 (Edited)
Nice post!

I am very surprised by the reading on the G. Super Flora. I've tested individual bulbs several times and it has always been one of the highest PAR's.

I did take all of my readings about 2" under the water surface, so different than yours. But still, that's interesting and I wonder why the difference?

But I guess makes little difference if you are dialing in a PAR and color that you like.
Yeah, it really caught me off guard, but matches my readings from last year.

For some reason my reading on the Giesemann Tropic did not post.. I'll need to find them, but my guess was somewhere in the 30's.... I was way wrong... A single 4ft measured the same way as the ones above came in at 50 PAR!

Edit: Added the Tropic above...

·
Registered
2,170 Posts
Discussion Starter #1,132
Wow! Pretty amazing...:love:
Thank you, and good to hear from you! Hope you are doing well.
I like that combo! And how did you get that FTS in your signature??
Yeah, it's not too bad! Signature was under settings I believe, then left hand side was signature setting. I saved the photo to my desktop and dragged and dropped it into the image section. I rarely use the desktop version (typically tapatalk on my phone), but with the PAR readings I used the browser today and found it!

·
Registered
2,170 Posts
Discussion Starter #1,135
For those who have been following along for a while, or have high attention to detail, you will notice the above picture has not five, but six T5HO bulbs! Yes, that is right, I have finally upgraded myself to a normal number of bulbs, haha!

That said, I so far am really digging this combo. I am around the same 120 PAR at substrate, but not as warm as the previous setup from earlier this week.

Back to front:

Super Flora
Super Purple
Pure Bloom
Actinic Blue
Super Flora

Here is the new setup

And for quick reference the one above

Still some more up my sleeve over the next couple of weeks.

·
Registered
214 Posts
For those who have been following along for a while, or have high attention to detail, you will notice the above picture has not five, but six T5HO bulbs! Yes, that is right, I have finally upgraded myself to a normal number of bulbs, haha!

That said, I so far am really digging this combo. I am around the same 120 PAR at substrate, but not as warm as the previous setup from earlier this week.

Back to front:

Super Flora
Super Purple
Pure Bloom
Actinic Blue
Super Flora

Here is the new setup

And for quick reference the one above

Still some more up my sleeve over the next couple of weeks.
Definitely quite a bit more blue. Looks quite a bit brighter too. I like it! I wonder if you would gain more brightness and possibly red with the 3000k T5 LED.

·
Registered
2,170 Posts
Discussion Starter #1,137
Definitely quite a bit more blue. Looks quite a bit brighter too. I like it! I wonder if you would gain more brightness and possibly red with the 3000k T5 LED.
Yeah, I am curious about that one. When I go to pick up the 660's when they come I think they also carry the agromax LED T5's.

On the zoom conference calls all day the tank looks like a reef tank from the side due to the cheap webcam, but in person this looks really good!

·
Registered
2,170 Posts
Discussion Starter #1,140
The importance of pH probe calibration; this is not a disaster sorry.

For the past few water changes I have been meaning to calibrate my pH probe for my pH controller. It has been a long while since I have done it to be honest (maybe since I replaced it with this new one actually). When doing my filter maintnance this weekend I must have knocked the flow meter for CO2, because my rate was off, as in no flow. Yesterday (Sunday), I put it back to the normal 40ish cc/min that I run. I did not think much else of it.

Today I looked over at the tank when the lights came on, and all the bows are hanging in the lower left corner of the tank, not doing any swimming around. All the fish really are quiet at this point in time, which is not normal for when lights click on.

I looked up at my pH controller, and it was reading 6.5pH, which is above the cutoff point of 6.4. That made me wonder about the calibration.

I got the solutions out, and no surprise, the calibration was off. Oops...

After setting the controller properly, the tank was sitting around 5.8 or 5.9 pH. Mind you that my degasses pH is about 7.8. Needless to say, there was way too much gas in the water!

Good news is that I have extremely high surface agitation and two skimmers, which keeps a high oxygen concentration as well. Disaster was avoided, and I am working on dialing the system back in now.

Moral of the story is: Calibration takes about 10 minutes to do it properly. Just calibrate!

1121 - 1140 of 1160 Posts