The Planted Tank Forum banner

1101 - 1120 of 1160 Posts

·
Registered
2,170 Posts
Discussion Starter #1,101
Do you know what's in your tap water as far as nutrients go?

Tank is looking great by the way, I love the yoyo loach antics, surprised you have any snails left at all with them.
Only Mg and Ca are in the water, nothing else. Really good water in this area!

The YoYo loaches are young and small, and they have only been in the tank a couple or so months now. They do good work on the small snails, but I try to cherry pick the larger ones out.

·
Registered
2,170 Posts
Discussion Starter #1,103
Your very lucky! There is all sorts of stuff coming out of my tap.

I'm interested to see how your fert changes go, especially with an inert substrate. What does your nitrate test at on average with your current dosing?
Honestly I have not been testing regularly, but when I do it is between 10 and 20ppm. More of a light orange on the API kit.

Really looking to get the GDA to retreat...

·
Registered
5,709 Posts
I've been going down this road of lower dosing as well.

Keep a close eye on the plants. Nothing will happen overnight, but it's possible some plants will run out reserves, and that takes time. K is the one I would be worried about.

I'm thinking I have hit about the limit with mine, but still experimenting.

·
Registered
459 Posts
FWIW I have found that even a slight moving of my PH controller can throw the settings off. So besides a daily check of the ph reading, I check the high and low set point at least 1X month.

·
Registered
2,170 Posts
Discussion Starter #1,106
Talking with a local member of our aquarium Facebook group, he is 'breaking down his CO2 tank, and going simple low tech. With that, there were some plants he wanted to remove to keep some simpler ones.

Very generous opportunity for some new plants, and I shared a few back that should do well with no CO2.

Here is what is new:

Rotala mini butterfly and I believe tonina fluviatilis

I think hygrophila sp. bold

Two different Erio varieties. If anyone knows their names, would love to have them. @burr740 any thoughts?

Limnophila aromatica mini and not sure the one on the right. Thoughts?

Finally one leftover staurogyne purple stem he had.

Just plopped them in the tank for today. This weekend I'll need to move things a bit more.

I did pull the crypt wendtii bronze out of the 75 and will either give some away for find space for the time being in the 40 breeder.

·
Registered
2,170 Posts
Discussion Starter #1,108
Looking good man! The bright one is E lineare, the dark one in front is E vietnam
Awesome, thanks!! Hope they like my soup, I really like the look of them!

Once I get them in a place I like, should I do an O+ ball or two under them? I'll need to read up on these to keep them alive.

·
Registered
214 Posts
Talking with a local member of our aquarium Facebook group, he is 'breaking down his CO2 tank, and going simple low tech. With that, there were some plants he wanted to remove to keep some simpler ones.

Very generous opportunity for some new plants, and I shared a few back that should do well with no CO2.

Here is what is new:

Rotala mini butterfly and I believe tonina fluviatilis

I think hygrophila sp. bold

Two different Erio varieties. If anyone knows their names, would love to have them. @burr740 any thoughts?

Limnophila aromatica mini and not sure the one on the right. Thoughts?

Finally one leftover staurogyne purple stem he had.

Just plopped them in the tank for today. This weekend I'll need to move things a bit more.

I did pull the crypt wendtii bronze out of the 75 and will either give some away for find space for the time being in the 40 breeder.
Looks like a nice score!

I like how it appears the red neon is giving a welcome to the new plant in that first pic!

Sent from my mobile device using Tapatalk Pro

·
Registered
2,170 Posts
Discussion Starter #1,113
Moved a few things around this weekend. For the picture below the ISO was set a bit higher than usual, so a bit brighter than you typically see from me!

I have found that most of the red plants show their most vivid and vibrant coloration early in the photo period (below picture is very end). Has anyone else noticed this? Wondering if there is something to that, or if it is just me?

·
Registered
1,374 Posts
Moved a few things around this weekend. For the picture below the ISO was set a bit higher than usual, so a bit brighter than you typically see from me!

I have found that most of the red plants show their most vivid and vibrant coloration early in the photo period (below picture is very end). Has anyone else noticed this? Wondering if there is something to that, or if it is just me?

I have a plant that does this too, can't recall its name.

Sent from my Pixel 4 XL using Tapatalk

·
Registered
2,170 Posts
Discussion Starter #1,115 (Edited)
I have been spending some time thinking about my lighting the past few weeks. I did grab two more Giesemann Super Flora, and also grabbed tow 6500K Tropic bulbs. My PAR was reading much lower that I thought at the substrate (though there was a lot of plant mass), around 80. My guess is still around 100 if no plants. Anyways, I am thinking of attempting to bump PAR and color, for some fun!

I have locally sourced some PowerVeg 660 (Thanks @Greggz for the reps name!). They should be at the store in the next week or so. I also had them order me one more of the Sunblaster Nanotech T5 fixtures to bring me to 6 bulbs. Not sure if I can fit much more under the hood!

When playing around with the new bulbs the other day, I really struggled to get something I liked with the Giesemann Tropic bulbs. For what my eye is used to (heavy color bulbs) the 6500K seems to wash everything out a bit. I am hoping that with having 6 bulbs, and adding the strong powerveg 660, that I can achieve a look that I will like, and really start to push PAR.

Right now I am running:

Giesemann Super Flora
Pure Bloom
Giesemann True Actinic 420
Giesemann Super Flora

I'll try to grab a picture a bit later, but overall things are going well.

One thing to note is that I had the helanthium tenellum out of the tank a bit too long before replanting. The new growth is strong and fine, but the old growth is getting HARD hit with algae. I'll likely need to rip everything out again, and plant just the fresh, new growth to clean it up. Not looking forward to it, but definitely the right thing to do. Just need to find a couple good hours to go through everything!

·
Registered
2,170 Posts
Discussion Starter #1,116
So, I got a little it itchy when looking at that last FTS... just not looking the way I want it. The rotala h'ra is beautiful, but in the wrong spot. That led to a quick 40 mim scape session.

I this this is a good foundation to grow thing back. Now just need to take on the helanthium tenellum!

·
Registered
5,709 Posts
So, I got a little it itchy when looking at that last FTS... just not looking the way I want it. The rotala h'ra is beautiful, but in the wrong spot. That led to a quick 40 mim scape session.
LOL stare at the tank and have a sudden scape session. I know that sickness well!!

When you get it really bad, you lay in bed at night thinking about what should go where, what should be removed, what should be added, etc. It's like a puzzle that can never solved.

And yes the G. Tropic needs a good deal of color to offset it. I have 2 x Purple and 2 x Red (Powerveg 660). And even then, I make take one of the Tropics out and replace it with a Super Flora.

And I like the changes you made to the scape!!

·
Registered
2,170 Posts
Discussion Starter #1,118
Good to know it is not just me with the Tropic. Once the 660's are in, along with the 6th fixture I'll need to play around a bit. I do have a giesemann super purple, 420, and super actinic to play around with (420 is running now and my favorite so far), along with the super flora, some flora sun's, 3000K, pure par, etc...

·
Registered
2,170 Posts
Discussion Starter #1,119
So I decided to bust out the PAR meter today in anticipation for the new lights and fixture(s?). I must say, much lower that I thought.

Running from back to front:
Giesemann Super Flora
3000K AgroMax
Pure Bloom AgroMax
Giesemann 420
Giesemann Super Flora

The 3000K and Pure Bloom are about a year old now, so maybe they are a bit weaker at this point (didn't test them individually). The PUR is great, so happy there. Perhaps I can push it a bit more with some incremental and fresh bulbs :geek:

Top middle

Bottom Center

Bottom Left

1101 - 1120 of 1160 Posts