The Planted Tank Forum banner

61 - 80 of 258 Posts

·
Registered
2,165 Posts
Discussion Starter #61
Things are going well, still really enjoying this tank. The fry are raising up, about 10 or so have made it. Super slow growers, feeding frozen cyclops and daphnia with some other smaller pellet forms. One has learned where the pencil fish spawn and eats those eggs (from the amazon frogbit) and is twice the size of the others. There is also one pencil fish fry that has made it through.

Dad fish just goes about his day but does not enjoy when I get close, always swims off quickly. Mom on the other hand is rather aggressive and has forgotten the 10 fry are hers! They have spawned at least twice since this batch, with no success. She continues to guard her territory though.

Here are a few pics

·
Registered
2,406 Posts
Are they they only things in there? For mine they constantly spawn in the Amazon Frogbit, daily. Did yours arrive okay and grow well?

I got mine from the local auction e few weeks ago. They were full grown and sourced donated to the club for auction from The Wet Spot. I paid $70 for 6 of them and won the other 6 in a live fish raffle. The only other fish in the tank are a female Panduro and a male Abacaxis. I should have put them in this tank.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

·
Registered
2,165 Posts
Discussion Starter #67
I got mine from the local auction e few weeks ago. They were full grown and sourced donated to the club for auction from The Wet Spot. I paid $70 for 6 of them and won the other 6 in a live fish raffle. The only other fish in the tank are a female Panduro and a male Abacaxis. I should have put them in this tank.

Awesome! Hopefully they will spawn and give you a whole tank full!

Dwarf water lettuce (forgot that was what I sent) is looking awesome, very nice tank!

·
Registered
2,165 Posts
Discussion Starter #71
Good looking fish and nice pics!
Thanks! I know we joke about a second tank for you, but I will say having a second low maintenance tank is pretty awesome.

Having the two hi tech tanks last year was way too much for me to balance with time. First I was new to planted tanks, inexperienced, and balancing two setups which had different needs did not work well. I was trying to run both tanks at the exact same parameters, and I think we have all learned that each tank is unique!

·
Registered
2,481 Posts
I think we have all learned that each tank is unique!
Biggest "myth" circulating through the hobby IMO. Every tank is different, and we need to stop following processes 100% as another person does.

My ultimate goal from having more than 1 tank set up, is to follow different paths with each.

Modified / Custom EI (whatever we want to call it) with high CO2, high light, inert substrate large water changes with one tank. Control everything about the tank.

Lean / PPS dosing with moderate CO2, moderate lighting, nutrient rich (or not) substrate and moderate water changes on another tank. Have some "buffer" in terms of maintenance, and let things be instead of controlling every parameter.

That would be my personal "ideal" situation, but is it for everyone? No... having two of the exact same setups would get tiresome, and each tank would remove the love for the other. Running 2 tanks with completely different setups would always keep my interest alive and well, because each tank would have its own requirements, challenges and successes.

·
Registered
803 Posts
Biggest "myth" circulating through the hobby IMO. Every tank is different, and we need to stop following processes 100% as another person does.

My ultimate goal from having more than 1 tank set up, is to follow different paths with each.

Modified / Custom EI (whatever we want to call it) with high CO2, high light, inert substrate large water changes with one tank. Control everything about the tank.

Lean / PPS dosing with moderate CO2, moderate lighting, nutrient rich (or not) substrate and moderate water changes on another tank. Have some "buffer" in terms of maintenance, and let things be instead of controlling every parameter.

That would be my personal "ideal" situation, but is it for everyone? No... having two of the exact same setups would get tiresome, and each tank would remove the love for the other. Running 2 tanks with completely different setups would always keep my interest alive and well, because each tank would have its own requirements, challenges and successes.
That's basically where I'm at and I'm still confused most of the time heh

·
Registered
2,165 Posts
Discussion Starter #75
I feel that biotope tanks are highly underrated and at some point everyone should try having one. There’s almost zero maintenance and it might be the most natural tank you could own. I love mine so much I created a second.

I have been thinking this more and more! This has been a joy to watch grow, but also has be thinking what is the next style/ fish to try out?

No more tanks.... two is my limit... for now!!!

·
Registered
1,658 Posts
Those tanks are looking fantastic! Biotopes are what originally got me into keeping plants and it's nice to see someone on the forums here keeping systems with a more natural aesthetic.

·
Registered
2,481 Posts
I will say.... telling a family member / friend that is visiting that the fruit stand is comprised of 100% living plants really shocks them... To the average person they are truly amazed that all our plants are living things, not artificial. To us however, we seem to focus all the negatives, or at least they jump out to me more so while I'm looking at my tanks.

61 - 80 of 258 Posts